Newbie Timing chain - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Newbie Timing chain

Hey everybody! Glad to see a forum on the Cobalt. Im also a member of vstar motor cycles and marine engine.com. I just acquired a 2008 Cobalt LS. My dad retired and bought a new Mustang so he has no need for the commuter car. I bought it from him dirt cheap for my wife to drive to work and the car is in perfect condition except for one thing. His mechanic said #3 was low on compression and said he would bet money it has a burnt valve. I have most of everything off the motor but the head. My question is is it possible to pull the head with the motor in the car? I know I have to relieve the tension on the timing belt and I have everything marked for timing. I really don't want to pull the engine. Thanks everyone and looking forward to talking to everyone. I also work on boats if anyone ever has a question.

Last edited by Coby7; 02-01-2013 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Got to eleborate for this thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
welcome man of many trades! im not as helpful as other people since your problem seems engine relevant and i suck at that. the good guys will chime in soon im sure

WA636R - Switchblade Silver Mt 09 Sedan LT 2.2L LAP......Auto!

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

Join YC.com on Facebook! Like YC.com on facebook too!
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks! This is my first front wheel drive and something small. Lots of difficult things to get to and some great places to lose some hide off the hands. Great to be here and thanks for the reply!

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Yes it is possible. Remove all of the parts from the head, then remove the timing chain tensioner from the rear. Remove camshaft sprockets so the chain gets free. You will have to remove the Allen wrench bolt on the passenger side of the head to remove the top retaining bolt for the chain guide with a 10mm socket. Then break the head bolts loose to remove the head. Make sure you drain ALL oil AND coolant before you do this. Some will get in the combustion chamber, so clean up as much as you can asap.

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

ok brohter, you say remove the timing chain tensioner from the rear. I look as the motor facing the passenger side and know There is a big bolt at the top to remove from my research off this site. I can't remove sprockets until tension is released from from cam gears. I was thinking the tensioner needs relief but if you say this works I will give it a try. Ugh.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

btw its" real handy to have a computer in the garage. Android sucks trying to tune in to info.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

And some Zakke Wylde lol
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 04:41 PM

Garage
You can get at it from the top. It's just on the rear of the head. By the manifold. Once you have that out, remove the cam sprocket bolts and knock them loose

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

OK this may sound dumb but what d you mean by remove the tensioner from the rear ?
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 PM

Garage
The chain tensioner is on the rear of the engine

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Do you mean the big bolt on the exhaust side of he engine? I don't look at front or rear seeing as its a fwd engine. to me front faces passenger side of motor and rear faces driver side. Don't mean to ber difficult. Why cant all be RWD with AWD oppional. lol
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by russm256 View Post
Do you mean the big bolt on the exhaust side of he engine? I don't look at front or rear seeing as its a fwd engine. to me front faces passenger side of motor and rear faces driver side. Don't mean to ber difficult. Why cant all be RWD with AWD oppional. lol
Yea i understand. yes the big one on the exhaust side

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode