Liquid in Oil, Coolant Low...second Time in the Past 12 Months - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Liquid in Oil, Coolant Low...second Time in the Past 12 Months

About a year ago I took my 08 in for service, it had a large amount of milky oil on the fill cap, and noticeable milky substance on the dipstick. The dealer maintenance dept found the headgasket was cracked and replaced it. This was at 68,000 miles

20,000 miles and 11 months later I've got more buildup on the cap, milky oil on the dipstick, and my coolant is low. It isn't as bad as it was last year, but my powertrain warranty is up in May, or of course...100k. If this is a second headgasket replacement I'm going to get pretty nervous about what will happen 20,000 miles from now...the folks in the service department kept going on about condensation being a problem with the 2.2l Ecotec, but I drive 40 highway miles each way to work 5 days a week so that should have burned off what little condensation might build up.

Is there someone at GM I can talk to to try and squeeze some extra time out of for this issue specifically? Has anyone else had this problem with their Cobalt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Sounds like a headgasket issue to me. Definately bring it in. Not sure if you will be able to get extended coverage on that though, maybe Sarah will chime in from GM cust. serv.

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Staff Alumni

I cant see it going again unless there was something wrong with the head and they didn't get the checks done on it. I guess possible the waterpump gaskets could be leaking into the timing cover.

Pull out the drain plug in the oil pan and quickly put it back in, if you saw any antifreeze at all then I would go straight to the dealership.

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Job was probably not done right to start with. Sarah on here is with GM customer service. Bring it back as soon as you can before warranty is up.

The ecotec motor is not known for going through head gasket but you do get the odd one. Most will run a long long time before needing a head gasket change. Level going down a bit (100ml a year) is normal evap in a closed system.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Dealer has it right now, wanted to get it in asap once I noticed the amount of milky substance in the oil. Plus it's time for an oil change so if they do replace it they'll drain and change the oil to get rid of the contaminates, last time it happened I had just done a change (and noticed the coolant in oil...) so of course they drained and refilled...with conventional oil...yuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Job was probably not done right to start with. Sarah on here is with GM customer service. Bring it back as soon as you can before warranty is up.

The ecotec motor is not known for going through head gasket but you do get the odd one. Most will run a long long time before needing a head gasket change. Level going down a bit (100ml a year) is normal evap in a closed system.
The level was right at the cold fill line...while HOT! This is 11 months after it was fixed and filled.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

ARichter,
What news from your dealership? If you want for us to check into anything at all, don't hesitate to contact me via private message (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership) or you can contact the Customer Assistance Center at 800-222-1020 (Hours: Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET).
Sarah, GM Customer Service

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCustSvc View Post
ARichter,
What news from your dealership? If you want for us to check into anything at all, don't hesitate to contact me via private message (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership) or you can contact the Customer Assistance Center at 800-222-1020 (Hours: Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET).
Sarah, GM Customer Service
I just heard back from the dealer, they said everything tested fine and condensation on the fill cap and dipstick is normal. I'm a bit uneasy with this since the only other time I've seen it was last year before the repair...plus how low the coolant was... Since I've been trusting the oil life monitor I check oil level every other fill up...and I just don't see moisture regularly.

I'll see what happens after I go up and chat with someone when I pick the car up.

Last edited by ARichter; 02-28-2013 at 09:49 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Staff Alumni

id be holding onto that paper work like a champ so if the gaskets are bad you can possibly get it still done under warranty since they said it was good

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
id be holding onto that paper work like a champ so if the gaskets are bad you can possibly get it still done under warranty since they said it was good
Good tip, I keep all paperwork...but this is the most important thing for everyone to remember!

Edit: sorry to post without really adding to the thread...need 10 posts to PM Sarah at customer service X-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
engine , headgasket , powertrain

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode