Auto Transmission Problem? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Auto Transmission Problem?

Typically, how long do these automatics last? Reason i ask, my girl's 06 cobalt is experiencing some real intermittent issues that keep leading me to suspect the transmission/ drivetrain. they are so intermittent that taking it to the dealer at this point would be a waste of money IMO. At the same time, i don't want this thing to break down on her.

the car just turned 102K miles, randomly while driving the car will suddenly "buck" and then drive perfectly fine. I asked her to kinda watch out for whenever it happens. so far it has happend 4 times in probably the last 5K miles. once going up a hill with 4 people in the car, it just bucked hard. not in the middle of a shift or anything. another time she said it happened goin up a hill and it did it again, but she said she was not sure if the tires had hit ice or not. the last 2 times, it did it at a complete stop. this last time she actually thought someone behind her hit her car, but she was the only car there. i could be wrong, but transmission/drive train keeps coming up in my mind. the funny thing is, aside from this random bucking the transmission shifts like new still.

the fluid has been replaced once at 60K miles, she does do a lot of city driving, could it need changed again already? i havent had an automatic transmission for the last 10 years so i can't even really begin to think where to look, especially now with how much of the car is controlled electronically. thoughts?

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

crap...

still a noob and i didnt scroll down enough to see that there is a separate transmission section. can a mod move this for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Contributor

Garage
until you said it did it while stopped, I was going to say if this happened only in 4th gear, it might be the converter locking and unlocking. Seems like there was a new TCM flash to cure that on the early auto's, not 100% sure on that. My 07 kinda did it but not as bad as others I've read about.

07 G5 GT

Cherry's Tree

Randy
Now serving Boost
272whp 276wtq @10psi
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 PM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Mine did it way bad its also described as a surge. Valves 2 and 3 were installed upside down from the factory on mine. But a buck.... Kinda like a jolt more... When going uphill was the car down shifting?? And at the stop was she stopped at a light for a minute or was she stopping at a stop sign?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

yeah maybe bucking is more harsh than jolt, i'll go with a jolt now. when going up hill, i think it had already downshifted and was out of over drive. it was a big long hill, it definitely did not need to downshift again though. and yesterday's event when she was stopped she said she was stopped at a red light but now she cant remember if she was already stopped for a min or if she had stopped and then ithappened immediately after.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 PM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Is it a jolt like its going forward or a jolt like it down shifted. If the makes sence. And I change my tranny fluid every 50000. That's me though....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode