Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement

I need to replace the ignition lock cylinder in my 2007 cobalt. The instructions say to disconnect the battery and disable the SIR system. Refer to Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System), disarming the system.

Does anyone know how to temporarily disable this system to make this repair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Staff Alumni

Disconnect your negative battery and wait at least 1 minute. I would also pull BCM fuse 13 (10A in the kick panel) and the SDM fuse in the underhood block (also 10A).

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Contributor

Why do it yourself? G.M. issued a recall last fall if I remember correctly. You had to have a problem with it for them to replace it though......

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Staff Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridinonrails View Post
Why do it yourself? G.M. issued a recall last fall if I remember correctly. You had to have a problem with it for them to replace it though......
Ah, yes, forgot about this. This will take care of it if you hound them. Or if you do it yourself submit your parts cost to your dealer and they will reimburse. They cut me a check on my parts.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Contributor

They reimbursed me after I got mine repaired.

Shorty Antenna, Painted Calipers, SAI K&N Intake, B&G Lowering Springs, FE5 Shocks and Struts, Moog End Links, Moog Tie Rod Ends, Polk Audio DXi650 Speakers - front and back.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

I looked the recall up and saw it applies to 2008 and 2009. Do you know if it applies to 2007 as well.

Document ID: 2552146

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

I just called the dealer and had them look it up. There is a special policy if the ignition is locking up. It is not an advertised recall.

Thanks for the information. I will be taking it to the dealer to have it fixed.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

UPDATE:
I just got my car back from the dealership. The ignition cylinder was replaced under "Special Policy" 12089. Hope this helps someone in the future. Tonight I am returning the ignition cylinder I purchased.

Kudos to YourCobalt.com members

Last edited by Coby7; 04-10-2013 at 12:16 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogpaw View Post
UPDATE:
I just got my car back from the dealership. The ignition cylinder was replaced under "Special Policy" 12089. Hope this helps someone in the future. Tonight I am returning the ignition cylinder I purchased.

Kudos to YourCobalt.com members
Thanks for that info....
I own a 2006 with an intermitent problem of the key getting stuck in the ignition...service rep at the dealership looked up my car in his computer and told me I was covered .....so i booked an appointment for today, bring the car in at 5H30 this morning before I go to work and when I walk back to the dealership...nothing has been done 'cause the service advisor made a mistake and I'm not covered for a free ignition replacement....

should have known it was to good to be true.........

Last edited by fl1000; 04-30-2013 at 01:33 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1000 View Post
Thanks for that info....
I own a 2006 with an intermitent problem of the key getting stuck in the ignition...service rep at the dealership looked up my car in his computer and told me I was covered .....so i booked an appointment for today, bring the car in at 5H30 this morning before I go to work and when I walk back to the dealership...nothing has been done 'cause the service advisor made a mistake and I'm not covered for a free ignition replacement....

Hello

I would like to call your dealer about this issue. If you would like my assistance please private message me more details.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Service

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1000 View Post
Thanks for that info....

Sorry you had trouble FL1000. Looks like someone else saw your problem and may be able to help. Let us know how it works out. The members on this forum are quite helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode