Pwr Steering/ Electrical Problems - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Pwr Steering/ Electrical Problems

the other day i was driving my chevy cobalt ls 2008 normally and out of nowhere in the dash screen it said PWR STEERING... after that I turned off my car and turned it back on and my pwr steering stopped working.. the wheel is super hard to turn. now when i turn on my a/c only air comes out but the lights for the a/c dont work. also my wipers dont work AND my sub in the back is not being powered... i also found out that my chevy cobalt is one of the new models where the power steering does not take fluid it is all electrical. someone mentioned to me that it may have been a blown/fuse/fuses but that cant be. also someone said my rack and pinion is broken but that also cant be cause that might explain the pwr steering problem but still doesnt explain the random power problem. and someone also mentioned it might be the alternator but i dont know much about that.. please if this has happened to you or you know how to fix/ take care of this i would greatly appreciate it very much. please and thank you.
-matias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Staff Alumni

Free recall

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

My steering did the same thing. It'd be hard to turn then power failure on electrical stuff. Got the steering recall done and its all good now
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

what do you mean steering recall???? my car was bought used from a random dude lol

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Staff Alumni

Chevy has a recall on the power steering. Take it to the dealer and ask them to see if the recall was done on it. If not just get it done. Free to do
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

oh really?? awesome! so i take my car and they take care of the problem?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
To lose all these seemingly random parts points towards a broken ground lead. Probably the one under the coolant reservoir since you have no wipers and no steering. Could also be the steering colomn ground under the dash. That one is a bit harder to get at. Do you have the Pioneer upgrade with the sub in the trunk?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Staff Alumni

His problem was just like mine. My power steering was randomly drawing too much power. I'd turn the wheel and lose lights, stereo, sometimes it would just shut off. Got the recall done and hasnt happened since. Plus it was a bitch to turn when that happened

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM0CMatias View Post
oh really?? awesome! so i take my car and they take care of the problem?
If it hasn't been done already
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
To lose all these seemingly random parts points towards a broken ground lead. Probably the one under the coolant reservoir since you have no wipers and no steering. Could also be the steering colomn ground under the dash. That one is a bit harder to get at. Do you have the Pioneer upgrade with the sub in the trunk?
okay you lost me a little... lol my car isnt the 2 door cobalt with the pioneeers. i installed the subs and amp myself lol and ground lead?? i also called chevrolet and found out the prevous owner of the car did the recall already but since my car was crashed the warantee from that part was blocked. so i have to find what is wrong with my car now
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Newcomer

Had the same things happen with the Cobalt I bought in May of 2012. Power steering failure and a load of other electrical problems would randomly occur, last for anywhere from 20 minutes to a few days, then my car would go back to normal for a week or two. Then it would happen again. :P Turned out my car had already been fixed for the recall, so it was obviously something more than the power steering motor. I had to deal with this for months; even the chevy mechanics had no clue what was wrong. Finally I found a local mechanic that had fixed the same problem on 3 other cobalts, and he fixed mine. Sounds so ridiculously simple, but he told me it was the wiring. Apparently the wires originally used in Cobalts are way too thin and that caused things to go haywire. That being said, he replaced the existing ones in my car with higher gauged/thicker wires in October, and I haven't experienced the problem since then. Cost less than 100 bucks too. Other than it being that, I've heard replacing the TCM can solve the problem. Hope I could help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode