Outside Door Handle Problems - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Outside Door Handle Problems

I'm sure the search comes up empty for most, if you even tried. So, if you have the outer handle issue that some have had where the handle wont open the door without feeling like it is going to break off, and with a clunk here is something that may help you. Everyone has said lube EVERYTHING that involves this handle. Do that, but if you still have this issue, follow the bar down to the latch. You will see a clip, mine is green, that holds the bar to the latch mechanism. If you look there is "threads" on the bar. Count how many are coming out of the top, unclip the "green" clip, and move the bar UP one thread. Meaning have one extra thread coming out of the top. I don't recommend this unless all other methods have failed, and if you go too far with it, the door wont latch properly, or the handle will stick out and just look like shit. I guess you could also straighten out the bar a little since there is a little kink in it, but this seems easier to me. To each there own. I dont think this would be a problem unless the handles/door were replaced for some reason though. Mine were replaced at one point due to a side swiping incident on the passenger side and the mechanic must not have paid attention to the little details. Especially seeing as that is the only side i had issues with. Hope this helps someone, and if not, i hope you are under warranty still to get it fixed.

Last edited by jonny_b; 04-12-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 02:50 AM
Contributor

A few days ago I found that my exterior, driver side door handle wouldn't operate the door latch. I managed to get the door open with the inside handle by accessing it through the passenger door. The exterior door handle seemed to operate fine but it felt like some cable or linkage inside the door needed lubricating. Found this video that might be helpful. I shot some lithium grease into the door through the the spaces around the exterior door handle also. Seems to be OK now.

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD

Last edited by keegs; 06-03-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode