Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

TPMS Question

Hi guys,

I'm having some trouble with TPMS, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on correcting it.

After my girlfriend's car battery died, she gets a "SVC TIRE MONITOR" message when she starts the vehicle. If you look at the tire pressures, they all show "--" instead of the tire pressure.

The manual lists the procedure to reset the monitor system, but this does not seem to work. It gives the two short horn beeps indicating it goes into learn mode, but then it does not acknowledge that the tire pressure changes no matter which tire we start on. After a couple of minutes, it exits learn mode automatically.

I've taken it to both a Chevy dealership and a local mechanic. The local guy let me watch what happens when you use the professional tool. He first read the pressures, and that worked no problem. So I know the sensors and batteries are good. Next, he went through the process to reset the error using the actual tool (without introducing or releasing air pressure). After each tire, it gives a quick horn beep to indicate it was successful. After all 4 tires are finished, it gives 2 honks to let you know it is finished. Then when you start the car, it still gives a "SVC TIRE MONITOR" message with no air pressures.

I should mention that I've asked about this on this forum a few months ago, but this time I included a lot of information about what exactly happens when a professional tries to reset the system. In the last thread it was recommended that I try pulling the battery to see if that resets things, but that did not work. It looks like it simply can't remember the values, but I don't know enough about the TPMS system to know for sure. Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Sometimes if battery is disconnected for too long the RCDLR will go back to default. In default TPM is disabled.

When you had it at the dealer did they check to see if the TPM was still enabled in the RCDLR?

Last 2 items in the menu are.

TPM Indicator/Message -- Off
The scan tool displays On or Off. This is the state of the TPM indicator.

TPM System Enabled -- Yes
The scan tool displays Yes or No. Yes is displayed if the TPM system is enabled.
1966tbird likes this.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I didn't have them check, but I will make sure to mention it when we take it back. It seems like if it was disabled though, we wouldn't get the warning when the car is started. TPMS definitely isn't my strong suit, though.

If it is enabled, would the RCDLR be the first item to replace? I didn't even know this part existed until your response, so I appreciate it.

Edit: After doing some research on the RCDLR module, it looks like it's tied in with the key fobs. The key fobs stopped working after the battery died as well, but we had a locksmith resync them. Maybe it needs to be flashed.

Last edited by Tourney3p0; 04-14-2013 at 03:47 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
RCDLR is the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver but this module is also used to receive TPMS signals.

Notice there are two menus that I listed, the first one has to be "ON" and second one has to read "YES". In other words if it is enabled but the display is not turned on it won't work and vice-versa if the display is on but not enabled, which I believe is your scenario .

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Here is the whole menu if you care to try and make heads or tail.

Print it quick if you want to keep it.

Forced to remove copyright document sorry!

Last edited by Coby7; 04-14-2013 at 04:04 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

As a follow-up, my girlfriend took it to the dealership and asked them to look at the RCDLR at my request. They refused, saying there is no way it could be that. They reset the TPMS probably half a dozen time, and of course each time the console readout would continue showing dashes. Finally told her the sensors would need to be replaced at a hundred bucks a pop, as it was probably the batteries. Common sense tells us this can't be the problem since the procedure itself is successful with each individual sensor providing a readout. So I took off work and headed over to have a little chat with them.

Even after telling them there is no possible way it was the battery, they continued to deny it could be the RCDLR. I had to tell them that I wasn't leaving until they hooked the scan tool up and checked it.

Finally got it checked, RCDLR read Code C0569. Got home, Googled it, and immediately saw that TSB 08-03-16-001B covers this exact problem. Long and short of it is that it needs to be reprogrammed, though most times the unit is dead and needs and replacing.

Just to reiterate - it is a known problem that if the battery dies in a 2008 Cobalt, your RCDLR will probably also die and never wake up. You can replace it yourself, but you will still need a flash, key fob sync, and tire pressure reset. The latter two probably aren't necessary if you're one of the lucky ones that are able to bring it back to life with a flash, but these are rare. My dealership won't even try to flash it. Thanks, Chevy.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
There must be an other dealer close by which isn't ignorant!!!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yeah, I called around to a few different dealers to get a price on flashing a replacement module. Looks like the cheapest I can find is $125. On the plus side, the new replacement part was only 35 bucks online.

I won't even know if the flash is necessary until I get the replacement. My assumption is that a new OEM part is going to come unflashed, but maybe not. Even if it comes flashed, the fobs won't work without having them set up (which can be done for considerably less than $125). I suppose I can try the TPMS procedure in the manual once more before taking it in. If it takes, I'll know no flash is necessary unless I'm forgetting something.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I charge $20 to program FOBs but GM dealers charge between 40 and 60 around here. Pretty sure your RCDLR just needs to be re-enabled. If you order a RCDLR make sure you order the right one. There are three different ones.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

The FOBs lost their association when the battery died, but I hadn't thought to make the association until you mentioned the RCDLR. She ended up paying a locksmith something like 50 bucks to program the two of them, so that might be the route to take.

When the techs hooked up the scan tool, it wouldn't communicate with the device at all. The TSB I mentioned earlier says that this could be a problem, but to try flashing it using pass-thru mode. That's what I couldn't convince them to try. After searching for the code and others bitten by this problem, the general consensus is that even pass-thru doesn't work and the unit will need to be replaced.

I had the online place (not sure what the rules here about naming the vendor, but they're reputable) look it up by VIN, so hopefully I'll get the right one. I'm just hoping the part is obvious when I take off the door panel. Already had the panel off before to replace the speakers (another common problem it seems), so that part should be a piece of cake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread