P0449 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Question P0449

Hi everyone. I recently had the check engine light come on and when I scanned it, it gave me the P0449 code. I noticed that there hasn't been the usual tapping sound from the trunk after starting the car, so I replaced both the evap canister solenoid valve and the purge solenoid valve, but the code is still appearing. I finally checked the voltage at the evap canister vent solenoid and I was getting 2.8-2.9 volts while the car was running, which doens't seem normal. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

2007 Cobalt LS Ultra Silver Metallic 5-speed GMPP Catback Exhaust ZZP header and downpipe Supercharged 77.9mm pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 06:00 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Conditions for Running the DTC•The ignition is ON.
•The system voltage is between 9–18 volts.
•DTCs P0443 and P0449 run continuously when the above conditions are met.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

P0449
 1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve.
 2. Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp illuminates between the voltage supply circuit terminal A and ground.
⇒ If a test lamp does not illuminate, test the voltage supply circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal and the voltage supply circuit fuse is open, test or replace the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve.
 3. Connect a test lamp between the voltage supply circuit terminal A and the control circuit terminal B.
 4. Command the solenoid ON and OFF with a scan tool. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF when changing between commanded states.
⇒ If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit for a short to round. If the circuit tests normal, replace the control module.
⇒ If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the control module.
 5. If all circuits test normal, replace the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
I tested the new and old vent solenoids by connecting them to a 12 volt battery and found that all of them worked. But I noticed that when I plugged the EVAP canister vent solenoid back into the connector but not back into the Evap canister and watched it as I started the car with my remote starter, it didn't move or anything, I was still getting 2.8 volts at the plug. Im suspecting that the cause is electrical. Any ideas?

2007 Cobalt LS Ultra Silver Metallic 5-speed GMPP Catback Exhaust ZZP header and downpipe Supercharged 77.9mm pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
cel , evap , p0449 , solenoid , vent valve

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode