Parking Lamp Fuse Blowing - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Parking Lamp Fuse Blowing (Solved)

This past Tuesday on my way to the mall, I noticed my right turn signal indicator was blinking really fast. I figured this was indicating a burnt out bulb somewhere. I got to the mall, had my brother check the lights and he said the passenger side tail was out.

So I got a replacement bulb (3057) put it in, everything back to normal.

Thursday morning I started up my car to head to work I noticed I had no dash lights except for my stereo which was the only thing working. My brake lights worked however, just not the parking lights.

After getting home I did some research and found out that this problem indicates that my tail lights aren't working. So I started looking at fuses and found out that the parking lamp fuse blew.

I found this to be quite odd being that the only thing I did was replace a tail light bulb. So today I replaced the fuse however with another 15a fuse, started up the car, nothing. Checked the fuse, it blew.

Three times I tried replacing the fuse and all three times it blew.

Now I'm at a loss.

I'm gonna have another go at it today.

So far I've done the following:
- Replace the fuse.
- Check for a bad connection in the wires to the tails in which I saw nothing
- Checked the bulbs. All good.

I will be checking the license plate bulb and wiring today. I did read on this forum that the wires do go bad because of exposure to the elements. The bulb is an led that I put in 2 days after I bought the car which was over 2 years ago. Might have went but I've never had an led burn out on me.

I'll be check the fuse box wiring too.

I really need to get this fixed today as I do go to work early in the morning while it's still dark out. A cop was sitting at the intersection to where I pull into my work place the day I notice my dash lights where out. He must have seen my tail lights out but never nailed me cause my working place was 10 feet down the road. Close call.

Anything else I should check?

Last edited by Cobalt1986; 05-11-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 05:38 AM
Staff Alumni

Tails should be 3157's. Is that what you meant or was it actually a 3057?

---------- Post added at 07:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

Also, if you're referring to the parking lamp fuse in the under hood block, that should be 10A, if memory serves. I wouldn't throw something bigger in if it keeps blowing. We'll get it figured out.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Check your lisence plate bulb socket, it gets all the road grime and tends to corrode prematurely and short out.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Parking lamp fuse is a 15a fuse. I checked under the fuse box cover. Bulb is also a 3057. I check around the net because I was getting two different sizes, 3157 and 3057.

Car Replacement Light Bulb Size Guide – 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt

I'm assuming the bulbs for the sedan tail lights vs coupe are different? I check the good bulb on the driver side and it was a 3057.

Anyway. The good news.

After tearing my trunk apart looking for shorts or bad wiring i found none. Thank god. License plate bulb is also good as well as the harness. It did need a good cleaning though so i did that.

So my only though was the bulb themselves. My dad said it could have been a bad set of bulbs I bought. So, I took out both driver and passenger side tail light bulbs and put in a set of Silverstar bulbs I bought the same day I bought the replacement set.

Good thing I did this because everything works now. No fuse blown.

Moral of this story, don't buy your light bulbs at Walmart. I learned my lesson.

EDIT: Ok. 3157 is the front parking/turn signal lamp. 3057 is for the rear tail parking/turn signal/breaking lamp.

I did not know this. Thought I'd clear that up.

Last edited by Cobalt1986; 05-04-2013 at 06:22 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 06:35 AM
Staff Alumni

Haha, glad you're good to go!

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Well sad to say the problem decided to rear is ugly head this morning. Started up my car, no clusters lights, or parking lights.

Checked the fuse, blown.

I'm stumped.

Edit: Well it turns out to be my amplifier that is causing the parking lamp fuse to blow. I disconnected my amp mainly because I didn't want to have to start and shut off the car each time I went to test the fuse. Figured I'd just turn it to acc each time that way the amp isn't running.

Well, last week when I "fixed" my problem, I did the same thing. When I "fixed" my problem, the amp wasn't connected at the time. Thus the fuse didn't blow. I didn't know this till I did it again today.

Problem solved, somewhat. I'd rather have working lights than no lights.

The amp works great however. Had it in since last summer. I've had no problems with fuses till now. Since that bulb blew, my amp is causing the parking lamp fuse to go. The grounds is solid to the chasis and power a solid connection too. It's all run under my trunk board and out of the way. Fuse is also good.

I'm running a Hifonics Zeus ZXi60.4 + 1K amp. I'm not running a capacitor as it's not a very sound heavy system. Currently running only 2 front speakers and a 10" sub.

Never had this problem in any car before.

Any help on this problem is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Cobalt1986; 05-07-2013 at 12:48 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Must be a coincidence! If amp isn't on same fuse it shouldn't blow the fuse.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Well it is blowing a fuse and not it's own fuse. Thing is, I can play music when the parking lamp fuse blows. I would think if there was a problem with the amp, it would kick into protection mode. It doesn't.

It appears I'll be stripping my car interior apart to see what's going on. Back to square one.

Last edited by Cobalt1986; 05-07-2013 at 02:25 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Staff Alumni

How is the amp hooked up?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Amp power cable to battery power terminal. Amp ground cable to where the battery ground cable is grounded next to the battery. Amp remote cable to head unit remote. Both cables are separated from each other.

Always set up my amp this way and never a problem.

I disconnected the amp completely so I can't get a picture of the setup. However everything is fine now with the parking lights since I don't have the amp hooked up

Depending on how weather is over the weekend I'm gonna try and tear everything out of the trunk and see what could be causing this problem. Gonna see if my dad can help too.

Edit: After more investigating, it's not the amplifier. It's a 50/50 chance of the fuse blowing or not blowing. Just took a drive around the block and when I got home my brother said the lights where on. Shut the car off, switched on the lights, fuse blew.

No clue now. Figure it out this weekend.

Last edited by Cobalt1986; 05-08-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode