Wipers Do Their Own Thing - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Wipers Do Their Own Thing

I've noticed the wiper speed adjustment doesn't always work. I think there's two ranges and within each there's half a dozen or so speed adjustments. These controls don't always work as they should....and it's usually that the wipers go faster than the setting. There doesn't seem to be any pattern ..and it happens often.

Anyone have this?

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 03:32 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
I've noticed the wiper speed adjustment doesn't always work. I think there's two ranges and within each there's half a dozen or so speed adjustments. These controls don't always work as they should....and it's usually that the wipers go faster than the setting. There doesn't seem to be any pattern ..and it happens often.

Anyone have this?
Probably the switch going bad. I have replaced both my steering column wiper stick and the turn signal stick. Both went bad on me and I have a 2009 and it barely had 50,000 miles on it. You can pick them up on eBay for like $20 or 30 I think. They are pretty easy to replace.

Shorty Antenna, Painted Calipers, SAI K&N Intake, B&G Lowering Springs, FE5 Shocks and Struts, Moog End Links, Moog Tie Rod Ends, Polk Audio DXi650 Speakers - front and back.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
It could be the speed sensitive setting where if you are doing over 40mph(?) the wipers will wipe at a faster pace to "keep up" with the rain. I never knew about the car having it and thought my motor or whatever was messing up till someone said something and I experimented with it, going slow and than speeding up.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 AM
Staff Alumni

Mine seem to be all over the place as well. However, I tend to think that it's less malfunction and more because it isn't a very well engineered control.

It's like when pizza places try to make pizza better by being "creative." Pizza was fine on its own. It didn't need any improving.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Staff Alumni

On my 2009, it's 50mph. I guess it's just a setting that changes automatically when you hit that speed, they go faster. Which sucks because the lowest setting going over 50 is still too fast for drizzle. It may seem like they're going crazy (I know I felt like it when I first noticed) if you're stuck in like traffic on a 55mph zone and you're dancing around that 50 mark.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Contributor

Keegs - any comments? Speed related or unrelated??

Shorty Antenna, Painted Calipers, SAI K&N Intake, B&G Lowering Springs, FE5 Shocks and Struts, Moog End Links, Moog Tie Rod Ends, Polk Audio DXi650 Speakers - front and back.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Staff Alumni

I checked my manual and there is an explanation of speed sensitive operation, but it does not list specific speeds or intervals of change. It essentially states that the BCM decreases the wiper delay as speed increases.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosproject View Post
I checked my manual and there is an explanation of speed sensitive operation, but it does not list specific speeds or intervals of change. It essentially states that the BCM decreases the wiper delay as speed increases.
Yup I noticed that right away on my 2009 Cobalt. I thought it was a good attempt at engineering a feature so you wouldn't have to touch the the control as often.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
just be happy you do not have auto wipers, they work ok if you do not clean your window with any cleaners but back when I had a couple of cars that did they would go crazy in auto mode because I use rain-x on on my windshield and it the film it puts down would mess with the sensor. I love rain x though, on the cobalt if I was doing over 35mph I would never have to use the wipers.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Staff Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
just be happy you do not have auto wipers, they work ok if you do not clean your window with any cleaners but back when I had a couple of cars that did they would go crazy in auto mode because I use rain-x on on my windshield and it the film it puts down would mess with the sensor. I love rain x though, on the cobalt if I was doing over 35mph I would never have to use the wipers.
This^ Rain-x FTW

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode