P0300 Service Engine Code - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

P0300 Service Engine Code, GM dealer repair before code, problems!

I sent my 2006 cobalt LS into the local chevy dealership about 2weeks ago because the timing chain broke. Of course when it broke it cleaned out the entire top end of the motor. They put new heads, valves, timing chain, tensioners, guides, etc. They fixed the car and called me to come pick it back up. Gave me 12 months or 12,000 miles warranty on everything and the reconditioned head has 2 years. I went to get it and the check engine light was on. Told them that it was kind of ridiculous that I just gave them almost $2400 and they return it to me with the check engine light on. It wasn't even on when I gave them the car. They hooked it up and read the code, said the O2 sensor was giving the problem. They cleared it and claimed that it was because they had the motor apart. Said it shouldn't come back on. Two days later, it's back. Took it back, code P0300, random misfire. They claim that there is nothing wrong with the car and they clear the code again. Pick it up later the same day. Fine, drive it home and park it for the night. Start it up this morning and immediately the check engine light is back on! I'm going to take it to someone else and let them use their code reader on it to make sure they are not lying to me about the code it is throwing and then I am taking it back again. Am I wrong to tell them that it is ridiculous that I just paid for them to fix the car and now they keep returning it with this issue? It has never had this problem before and I am afraid I am going to end up having to pay to have this fixed when it is not something that is my fault, it is something that occurred while they were fixing it. The car hesitates for several minutes and then runs normal after that whenever it turns the check engine light on. Any help/suggestions?

Code P0300 means random/multipule misfires
A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Faulty spark plugs or wires
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector(s)
Burned exhaust valve Faulty
catalytic converter(s)
Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
Faulty camshaft position sensor
Defective computer

Last edited by minihorse927; 05-22-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 06:16 AM
Staff Alumni

Change the oxygen sensor
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I think this is a good time for the forum GM rep to jump in.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Now today I had the code read somewhere else other than the dealership and it kicks out a P0303 which is cylinder 3 misfire. It has misfired 3 times today while I was driving. I felt the car hesitate and jerk for a few seconds, then it quits. Now, this dealer still claims it is just "dirt" from where they worked on the car. I never have had a misfire on this car since I have owned it and it mysteriously gained this problem when I got it back from repair. I am about to junk it or this Chevy dealer is going to eat it!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Did any of the sparkplugs get crushed in the head by any chance?

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Did they re-use the same coil pack?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I don't know and this is part of my issue with the dealership. They said all the valves were bent and the head was damaged so they ordered a reconditioned head and they put my old spark plugs and boots back into the car when they put it back together. We have not took it apart yet to check the plugs and boots. I am not going to be able to get that done until this weekeand when we are both off work. The plugs that are in it were put in at 89,000 and it has 113,900 on it roughly now. I plan on getting plugs and boots this weekend and changing them out to see if it corrects the problem. I am just concerned about this because they just keep saying "oh, it's dirt on the O2 sensor and there is nothing wrong with the car". I am not going to lie, I am able to do basic work on the car and maintenance but when it comes to tearing the motor apart, I am at a loss. But, at the same time I really don't believe the answer it's just dirt causing this problem either. I'm more worried they damaged one of the sensors or something else fixing it and now they are going to stick me with the repair bill on it. Is that possible since they had to go as far as replacing the heads and valves?

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

I am also assuming they used the same old coil packs too...

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Also, I want to ad that I am not trying to make them fix something that is purely just a maintenance/wear and tear issue. I am just concerned this is something they did accidently and I am going to be stuck with the bill.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If it was me I would move 2 plugs. Let's say 1 and 3, if the misfire code changes to P0301 then you know you have a faulty plug. Then the solution is change the plugs. If CEL remains P0303 then you know you have a coil pack problem. Coil packs do go bad on your year and might just be a coincidence that it failed at this time.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I will definitely give that a try. I am just frustrated and they seem to have the attitude at the dealership that we got your money, now we don't care what happens and seem very uninterested in helping me figure it out.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

I appreciate the help also, Coby7
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by minihorse927 View Post
I will definitely give that a try. I am just frustrated and they seem to have the attitude at the dealership that we got your money, now we don't care what happens and seem very uninterested in helping me figure it out.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

I appreciate the help also, Coby7
Hey minihorse927,

If you need any assistance working with the dealership please let us know. We'd be happy to assist in any way possible.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode