Cobalt Throwing Random Codes to Shut Car Down to Two Cylinders - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Unhappy Cobalt Throwing Random Codes to Shut Car Down to Two Cylinders

I have a 2005 Chevy Cobalt and for the past few months, I've had problems with the POWER STEERING light coming on and then my car will shut down to run on two cylinders instead of four. I read on an earlier forum from 2010 that another guy had the same problem, but he had done a tune up, had the coil pack replaced and oil change, the whole nine yards, but it had still been givng him the same issue, until he took it to a dealership and they had told him that he had to use the factory coil pack that chevy had put in originally and that's why it had still continued with problems.

My car will throw the power steering light and as I'm driving, sometimes the power steering will go out, but majority of the time it won't, but the car will bog down to two cylinder's and then the car won't shift right, making a banging sound as it's shifting. This usually happens when my car has been running for a while on a hot day or if it's just hot in general and my car will start doing it right away. If I let it sit for the rest of the day and go to drive it at night, the car starts and runs fine my guess it's because it's cooler outside and the car had time to cool off. Sometimes with the check engine light on and sometimes without it on, depending on what it feels like doing at that time.lol. I'm just curious if I do get a tune-up, I don't want to pay for it twice and I have no idea how much it would cost, not to mention labor.

So if anyone could help me out on this, maybe help me with a place, I'm in the Flint, Lapeer areas [Michigan] all the time and I just want to know how much It'll run me for the tune-up and if I have my own mechanic, would I have to get a certain brand of coil packs, like the ones that were originally put in the car in order for it work.

I'd appreciate any feedback, not to offend anyone, but I'd prefer someone who knows what I'm talking about, because I'm not an idiot when it comes to my car, I've done the research and I'm not some niave woman who doesn't have someone to go to for verification.lol

Thank you for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Staff Alumni

Have you had the power steering recall done?

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Have you taken it to autozone to read the codes?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Nothing wrong with your coil packs, your PCM detects a GMLan interruption and goes into reduced power mode after steering loss. Even if steering comes back PCM will stay in reduced power until you shut it off and restart provided steering problem isn't active at the time of start-up. Probably getting a U0078 dtc.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
half engine power , power steering

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode