Remote Start Help :unsure: - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Remote Start Help :unsure:

LS 2.2 manual coupe. I picked up an Encore automotive system model e2 from a buddy it has remote start keyless entry/exit and trunk pop. for now i want to install my remote start and the package came with ALOT of wires and i hear about this bypass?

Idatalink Ads Al CA 64K Multi Platform Bypass Adsalca | eBay

good GOD are there even more wires i will have to hide or do i need a bypass? and why do i need the bypass? i think i can do the wiring part as long as my instructions are right, i have the right tools and supplies and i get the wiring diagram off this sight as well. any input or comments is accepted AND appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfredrichs View Post
LS 2.2 manual coupe. I picked up an Encore automotive system model e2 from a buddy it has remote start keyless entry/exit and trunk pop. for now i want to install my remote start and the package came with ALOT of wires and i hear about this bypass?

Idatalink Ads Al CA 64K Multi Platform Bypass Adsalca | eBay

good GOD are there even more wires i will have to hide or do i need a bypass? and why do i need the bypass? i think i can do the wiring part as long as my instructions are right, i have the right tools and supplies and i get the wiring diagram off this sight as well. any input or comments is accepted AND appreciated
From what i understand your going to have to get a copy key programmed be careful not to park in gear

0-60....tooloonggg......Someone Wanna tune me =)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Initiate

I had an aftermarket remote starter installed in my 2007 Cobalt at a shop and they had to put in a bypass to work with the GM Passkey. I believe it is necessary in order to start the car because of the Passkey system in the car.

With all the wires, if connected properly it will do things like check to ensure the car is not moving, the e-brake is set, car is not in gear, etc. If it's not done correctly you could cause damage to the car by trying to use the starter.

I personally wouldn't risk it unless the car was well out of warranty. I had mine installed at an audio/alarm shop with only a few months left on my factory warranty, and the dealer said any problems involving any parts that were modified during the installation of the remote starter would not be covered after it was installed.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
how much did they charge you?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfredrichs View Post
how much did they charge you?
Just noticed your location, in the Minneapolis Area. I went to a place called Mach One in Little Canada, it's up on Rice Street near-ish to I-694. They have other locations too, including one in Saint Paul somewhere.

I don't recall how much I paid for it but I know it was under $500 total for parts and labor. I think the bypass module was $99.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
ok perfect! thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode