Strange Noise at About 4000 RPM - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Strange Noise at About 4000 RPM

I have only noticed this a few times and the only time I can consistently replicate it are under these conditions.

Every day I drive home up a pretty long and steep section of highway up a mountain. On the left the there is a concrete divider that reflects this sound back to me.

I have an automatic transmission and it really sounds like that is where the noise is coming from. It's hard to describe, its almost like a faint ringing and it only happens in one of the gears at this higher RPM.

It's not so much speed/RPM related as I have heard it traveling 30 mph before. It's just that to consistently recreate it, these are the conditions that need to be met. The engine is in great condition, doesn't use or leak a drop of oil and is pretty much new looking when I change it.

The car has just over 60,000 Miles on it and I had the transmission flushed at 55,000. I never noticed the noise before the flush, but I doubt it was that.

The car has no issues running, I just didn't know if this was normal and other people have heard the noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Newcomer

Does it make the sound every time you hit around 4 k rpm and in all gears or just that one gear you mentioned?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Just one gear, which is what worries me. I'm thinking it's 2nd gear, At 55 mph I can see it downshifting to 1st.

Last edited by rms4067; 08-01-2013 at 04:14 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Staff Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms4067 View Post
I have only noticed this a few times and the only time I can consistently replicate it are under these conditions.

Every day I drive home up a pretty long and steep section of highway up a mountain. On the left the there is a concrete divider that reflects this sound back to me.

I have an automatic transmission and it really sounds like that is where the noise is coming from. It's hard to describe, its almost like a faint ringing and it only happens in one of the gears at this higher RPM.

It's not so much speed/RPM related as I have heard it traveling 30 mph before. It's just that to consistently recreate it, these are the conditions that need to be met. The engine is in great condition, doesn't use or leak a drop of oil and is pretty much new looking when I change it.

The car has just over 60,000 Miles on it and I had the transmission flushed at 55,000. I never noticed the noise before the flush, but I doubt it was that.

The car has no issues running, I just didn't know if this was normal and other people have heard the noise.
I've heard that flushing sometimes causes problems.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
I take the transmission thing back. At any point my car hits 4 thousand it makes the screeching noise. Whether I am drive, what gear I am in, it makes the noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode