My daughter came home yesterday with the Cobalt and had the same problem. I fixed it today and here's how.
1. Pull parking brake lever and remove plastic bezel. It just unsnaps.
2. Put shifting lever in Neutral. Remove bezel from around shifter. It just unsnaps. Disconnect cigar lighter outlet and accessory outlet. There is a press tab on plug.
By the way this is a great time to clean all the knooks and crany not to mention spilled coffee.
3. Remove shifter knob, again lever has to be at least in neutral away from park so you can lower the bottom half of the knob to access the T10 torx screw.
4. Remove top cover plate, 4 clips, one at every corner.
5. Now with the help of a bunch of pictures I will try to show what needs to be done. First picture shows what you're going to see when you look at the key release micro switch. At least this is what happened to mine. Not obvious at first look.
This picture shows shifter switch actuator pin highlighted in yellow.
Now if you look at microswitch lever (highlighted in red here) you will notice it is tucked to one side and under the shifter actuator pin.
You will need to push that lever and micro switch back into position closer to the shifter because it has come off of it mount. It is only held in place by pressure fit.
Here you see it once pushed back into place. At this point microswitch and lever are in the right place but shifter actuator pin is still on top instead of bottom of lever.
All You have to do next is Pull lever out of park position and back into Park and pin will reseat itself under the lever and in the proper position.
Pin better seen here in yellow.
Hope this helps!!! Feel free to ask any question. My daughter has been driving it all day, oh! there she goes again. Works great apparently.
So while I had it apart I took the opportunity to clean and replace the shifter indicator bulb (which was burnt) with an LED.
1. Removed Indicator plate. It was all gummed-up with coffee, pop and who knows what else. It was pretty grosse.
2. Before and after cleaning pictures. There were actual letters and numbers on there.
3. Removed and cleaned the shift position indicator strip.
4. Removed the lamp housing. Oops no picture, but the white part in this picture.
Here it is removed.
5. So took out a mini wedge bulb mount and a 12 Volt LED and put them together.
My first attempt failed because overall length was excessive and refractor wouldn't fit.
So ran the base on the fine emery wheel.
And by trial and error.
Finally got the right length. Reassembled, shortened the leads and voilà!
Tried it in to make sure I had the right polarity and alls good. Put everything back together. Looks like new again. Hope this helps some of you!!!
---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------
Also took this time to install my USB ports but that's an other story and an other thread.