While the Car is Jacked Up... Things I Should Be Looking For... - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

While the Car is Jacked Up... Things I Should Be Looking For...

Hey Guys,

Sorry for another post on the same topic, but the question is different all together.

100K Miles on the car...

This weekend I am replacing both control arm bushings with solid rubber bushings because: I have a clunk only while braking from 60-35. Once I go below 35 the noise is gone. The steering wheel does slightly pull left when the brakes applied, which leads me to believe something shifts in the suspension during this issue (likely LCA bushing that people have advised)

To try an fix this I will be replacing the LCA rear bushings (driver side is starting to fail - I think this is where the noise is coming from).

I will also be replacing the Sway bar bushings and end links (Moog) assuming the right parts were shipped to me.......

As a side note - Less than one week before the noise began, I had the drivers side wheel bearing replaced, and an alignment done. Is it possible the tech didn't tighten something and that is what is causing the noise while braking? Where would I be looking for alignment parts (aside from tie-rods)?

Just trying to think of ANYTHING else I should be looking for while I'm under the car.

On the list to check:
- Ball Joints (for play)
- Tie Rods (for play)
- Motor Mounts (for cracks, deterioration, sagging)
- Any cracked/leaking bushings or boots (CV, Rack n Pinion)

As always, you guys are awesome!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If he did the front end alignment, maybe he didn't retighten the 2 bolts that tie the strut to the knuckle so check does.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 06-19-2013 at 02:34 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Gracias.

I will definitely look at those as well.

Thanks for your pointer on the intermediate shaft a while back as well! Didn't put it on the list, I've ruled that out.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Staff Alumni

its better to just start at one end of the car and work your way to the other looking for anything that looks out of place/not right.

Definitely add the rear brake lines to things you should check, and see if the fuel filter has ever been changed...if it looks old then you should probably change it if you don't know when it was last changed

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Thanks for the thoughts Money_man.

The last time I checked (last week), the brake lines were good. I would like to flush the brake fluid completely to get any moisture from the 100k out of the system. My concern is that the clutch uses the same fluid, and I am not sure how comfortable I feel flushing the clutch.

With regards to the fuel filter, I have an 08 LT - which I bought new, so the filter has never been change. My car - which apparently uses the expensive ass fuel filter kit, GF828. http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-GF828-Fuel-Filter-Kit/dp/B001DX7Y48. I have not yet looked how to change it, or even for its location as it does not reside where the normal fuel filter does.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Contributor

You can't see it cause it's in the tank..........
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridinonrails View Post
You can't see it cause it's in the tank..........
Well that's sweet. It was my assumption that it was in the tank, although I was hoping otherwise.

It'll probably be a while before I change it then. Been running injection cleaner though every 7500 miles or so; hoping its not too clogged up.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode