Drop Oil Pan - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Garage
Send a message via MSN to biniecki Send a message via Yahoo to biniecki
Drop Oil Pan

Having a little difficulty removing the oil pan. I realized that the chilton's manual is about useless for this particular job as its not very detail oriented. It says just to remove the ac condenser bolt, the drive belt and the 14 bolts. I have removed the additional bolts that hold the pan to the trans and trans mount. I have been able to break the RTV seal but I can't get the pan to fullly drop. I think that I need to remove the dip stick tube but not sure what the best way is. I have tried to pry it up and out of the pan but doesnt seem to want to budge much. Didn't know if it was easier to remove the electrical harnesses and try and maneuver the dipstick down with the pan or possibly try and pull it out from the top. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Got it off just as an FYI to anyone else attempting this its easier to take all the electronics off the dip stick tube and lower everything out at once

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2L Ecotec
Show Off Thread

hailcesar quote - "I think you got the best transformation from Ls to badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Veteran

Garage
Ill be doing this soon to see if my oil galleys are plugged up and not letting it drain back to the pan very well or if its something else. Thanks for the tip.

GpB311 Showoff Profile https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ngeles-ca.html

You might also know me as Dick Thrusthumper...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Veteran

Make sure all the bolts are out there is one that is hard to see and takes an elbow and an extension to get at. At least on the LSJ. There are little indentations on the pan where you can grip with a pry bar ans pry it loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode