2009 Xfe; This is What the Fuel Filter Spot Looks Like if It's in the Fuel Tank - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

2009 Xfe; This is What the Fuel Filter Spot Looks Like if It's in the Fuel Tank

Hi,

New to the forum. I have two cobalts, a 2007 LS and a 2009 XFE. Just changed the fuel filter on the 2007 LS, extremely easy, and all the photos online were very helpful. The only problem was I forgot the relay alignment and had to use a multimeter to find the correct way to insert it (went in upside down, at least in my hood fuse box). I saw both rightside-up as well as upside-down relay pics online, which wasn't helpful, but oh well.

Anyway, I'm now trying to replace the filter on the 2009 XFE. Super easy, I thought. Or not.

I looked at both the "official" 2009 parts and service manuals. The parts manual illustration puts the filter "off to the side" of the drawing, not even showing where it goes in the schematic. Brilliant. The factory service manual stubbornly says it's in the "easy spot", just behind the fuel tank, no other descriptions. Not helpful at all, either. Do the dealership techs actually use this reading material ?!

Just in case anyone wants to know what the "fuel filter spot" looks like when it's in the fuel tank, here's a pic.

Gee, that fuel filter got awfully skinny!

Edit: learned the RPO is NU6; PZEV California emission vehicle. There are also two cats on the vehicle. I never asked for California emission, and I'm 3000 miles away from that state. $200 filter kit, remove the exhaust, and drop the fuel tank to change the filter?? f- that. I'd rather wait until the fuel pump burns out before I swap it.

If you see "NU6" on the RPO codes (the label located on the left side of the back spare tire cover), run away.

Last edited by gbreadman; 06-24-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
2009 , cobalt , filter , fuel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode