Cel and hard shift - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Cel and hard shift

Hey YC just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this? I have a 2010 LT with 56k on it I got a Cel and hard shift going into 2nd more so when car is hot. light is on all the time. tried remove neg batt cable to clear code and with in 5-10 miles cel comes back. Taken it to get read and showed misfire cyclinder 3 check gas cap and also abs system disabled. Only thing my car has is a Hid kit with relay. I changed cyclinder 3 coil pack and spark plug and new gas cap....Thinking it might be an injector......Any help or suggestions??? No I have not went to dealer or mechanic yet. Had cel read at autozone. Thanks in advance

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
What was the code or codes?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Tyme516

Let me know if or when you would like to go to the dealer. I can locate one in your area. Unfortunately I am not a technician and can't answer your question but I am here to offer direction and answer other vehicle questions. Just let me know by private message if you need my assistance.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Coby it was a p303 if I'm not mistaken I misplaced the paper!

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Thanks Jackie if I can't resolve on forum ill pm you.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Coby sorry I know it helps if I had the codes but the paper is mia. Definitely said it was the cyclinder 3 misfire gas cap and abs disabled. I've read through the forum and did as others did re: plugs first then coil pack, new gas cap. 99%sure the hid kit would not cause the mis. I do appreciate any insight into this. Thanks again for the help Coby and YC members

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Great. Just let me know. I will be here. Hopefully you can find an answer here on the forum.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Okay, I don't want to down what others said that led you to do what you did, but You didn't eliminate anything with the method you chose. Let me explain. By changing the plug and coil for new ones might sound like a good idea and we all assume that new means it is going to work for sure. We all know that ain't true. Now unless you kept the old parts you can't go back. So I'm going to write this for others that might have the same problem. What you need to know is which part is defective so instead of putting in new parts at random and think you eliminate that piece automatically, here is what you need to do. Since pistons 1&4 work or cycle opposite each other and 2&3 do the same what you should have done is take the plug from cylinder 3 and switch it with a known good plug like 1 or 4, this way after clearing the code and P0303 comes back you know it's not the plug. Then do the same with the ignition coil, if the code comes up P0301 you know you have a bad coil, if it comes up P0303 again you leave it cause that means all your plugs and coils are good and you haven't spent a penny yet. Next move on to injectors and do the same switch injectors between 3 and 1 or 4 , P0303 comes back you have eliminated all these parts at no cost yet leaving you with ECM continuity between coil and ECM connectors. Clean connectors and test again. After all this if P0303 is still present you move on to compression test.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

By the way for some unknown reason when ECM loses cam-crank correlation for a fraction of a second and doesn't know if it's a faulty crank sensor or faulty cam sensor it sets P0303 code on 07-10. GM techs still don't know why according to bulletins. If it fails for longer, then of course it will give a crank or a cam code. Just so you know.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

My guess you will find that light blue wire on pin "23" of "P2" rubbing on a metal surface somewhere between ECM and ignition coil #3. Just a guess.

Last edited by Coby7; 06-23-2013 at 07:47 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Hmm lot of info lol I still have old parts but as u said spet $ on plug and cpack. Ill check the wires as u said and move on from there. Thanks I will keep u posted

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Update;
Went to mechanic did compression test, 1,2,4 have 225 cylinder 3 has 150. He said the intake gasket is leaking. @coby does this sound correct?

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Covered under powertrain warranty?

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
No, but head gasket would. And yes this would be covered under powertrain warranty.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Thanks coby always there to lend a hand! Always appreciate your help and also all the other YC members! Ill keep you posted. Also sent Jackie from Cust service a msg regarding the above along with dealer info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode