Is It Bad Rotors or What? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Is It Bad Rotors or What?

Im getting a vibration while driving 65+. It doesn't happen all the time, it will start shaking sometimes the smooth out. But you can always feel the shaking when braking. My control arm bushings were worn very badly so I changed them & think the bad bushings were covering up this problem. I checked the front end, ball joints, tie rods & everything is nice & tight. I do feel a slight "clunk" when I turn the wheel slightly left & right but its always done this. The car sat for about 6 months in Michigans winter so Im assuming rotors but want a little more advice. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 06:34 AM
Veteran

Garage
I just replaced my rotors. I had shaking but only when braking. The shaking at 65+ could be tire balance? As for the clunk, I'd check strut bearings. How many miles are on your car?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by rains_crusader; 07-05-2013 at 06:44 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 06:39 AM
Levee
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
OP, where at in MI?

If you have shaking while braking that is rotors that are warped, and either need turned or replaced.

Any vibration while driving is either a Shock, wheel out of balance, tie-rod, ball joint, Control Arm bushings, or CV joint going out. (on cobalts specifically, other parts may be included on other vehicles).

OP, how did you check the front end for all of that? And where do you feel the vibration? Do you feel it in your hands and through the pedals or do you feel it at the base of your seat?

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Its an 08 Cobalt LT with 138k. Im out of Fenton. I jacked up the front end pushing side to side & top to bottom, also had a shop check it out before which was how I found out about the bad bushings. I feel the clunking when turning in the steering wheel, the shaking while driving will shake the whole car
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 AM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Ok, for the clunking, it could be your steering intermediate shaft u-joint. As far as the shaking, check your tires. run your hand around them on the treads and see if they are scalloped (here is a quick link for information on that if you don't know)( https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-...w=1440&bih=799 ).

If they are not scalloped or have any belts busted or anything like that, get the tires re-balanced.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Ok so I looked at my front tires and noticed 1 was bald on one side so I rotated that one with the like new tire in the rear and drove it. It didn't shake as bad but still had a little vibration, just got back & figured Id swap out the other side & noticed the other front tire had wires showing so I think I found the problem. I didn't notice the shaking while braking as much but i'll see how it does now
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Yeah, tires will have a lot to do with vibrations and 99% of the vibrations go away when the tire problem is solved. However, tires do not cover vibrations/shakes when braking, if you are still getting that, your rotors are still warped.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

yeah rotors are still warped but the tires cause the majority of the problem. Now for the clunking when I turn left & right. Is this an easy fix?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Staff Alumni

Question is, why did your tires wear like that?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmesl8er View Post
Question is, why did your tires wear like that?
If they are scalloped it would be because of bad struts/shocks. If they are worn on just the outside, bad alignment, if it is worn on the inside and outside of the tire, but the center is fine, the tire is under-inflated and opposite of that for over inflated.

OP, the clunking could be that u-joint in the steering column. They are a pain to replace. I recommend either a shop or the dealership to replace that.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode