2007 Cobalt LT No Start After Rebuild - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

2007 Cobalt LT No Start After Rebuild

My girlfriend smashed up her 07 cobalt lt and I had to replace the trans and the engine oil pan. Everything has gone back together pretty well but I have run into an issue, and the problem is that my source material is gone.
I took pictures of my work as I disassembled everything on my phone and well those pictures have now since gone "poof". Keep in mind I had to replace the starter. When I removed the small connector the stud on the starter snapped off flush and with 140K on it, figured a newer used one couldn't hurt.

~I believe I got 99% of everything together, but the battery cables and grounds (basically everything that is not a connector) I fear may not be correct. At the moment I had it hooked up to my 9-3 to jump it but I get nothing, not even a click out of the starter. I checked the starter by moving the solenoid and making sure it wasn't stuck (stupid me... I didn't stick it to a battery tho check and see if it jumped... fear this will haunt me now...) I do know that it is getting power properly as all the electronics are on, fans work everything. And the battery has begun to recharge. I left my car charging it for a good 15 mins almost and sadly no success. I also tapped the started a few times and no difference.

~I have no check engine codes except for me having pulled the fuel pump relay

~Nothing appears to be stuck. When I put the drive train back together I spun the engine a few times by hand and heard no horrible noises and observed the axle joints spinning.

Figured I would make sure I have it wired up correctly. Also can anyone tell me how many cables are indeed attached to the grounding point on the front of the auto trans? I used wiring diagrams to figure it was 2 but I am not entirely certain. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Picture of how I have it wired up.

2 lines to the large connector from the top. 1 from the battery post and 2nd from the alternator.

Then one small connector from a wiring harness that travels between the starter and cooling fan.

I have a haynes manual but the wiring looks different and if I swapped the wires according to how they look in the book the one end would not fit so I think I have it right and they are showing a different model yr.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
2 ground wires go to the stud where transmission joins the engine. Did you re-attach the engine grounding strap?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

The strap that goes to the mounting point on the valve cover? If so, yes.

And good at least I have that right. I suppose more and more this is turning out to being an issue with my "refurbed" starter. *sigh*

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

And also the vehicle was off the road for a good long time and the battery died. Is there a chance the anti theft system could be kicking in? Say after a time without power, the key is no longer mated to the ecu or whichever device dictates that?

Sorry for a lesser knowledge on cobalts, I'm generally used to working on volvos and saabs. Thanks again for any help you guys provide.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If theft deterent was on you would have a flashing padlock icon.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode