Key Fob Problem :( Possibly the Computer? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Key Fob Problem :( Possibly the Computer?

My 08 cobalt lt came with remote door locks and remote start, of course since I bought it used they didn't have the remote so I did the logical thing and went out and bought one and took it to the dealer to have programmed since you can't do it yourself. The dealer said it wouldn't recognize the fob and it might be because I didn't buy it from them and I said bullcrap its the right fob I checked all the serial numbers before I bought it because I wanted to make sure I was getting the right one. They then said it could be an issue with the computer but the diagnostic would run me another $100 and if it was a bad computer they want another $200 for that plus to make sure the fob works they wanted to sell me one of theirs for another $100. No way am I paying $400 to be lazy! I've since looked into the possibility of replacing the computer however I'm a little uncertain as to what steps I should take first, is there a possibility that this could just be the receiver that's bad? Also should I check the ecm connections to see if anythings worn out first, to be honest with how complex cars are getting these days I don't even know if the ecm controls the remote door locking mechanism or not haha a lots changed since my first car, a 89 chevy celebrity wagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Your remote should be 22733524 if your car came with remote start. Did you check the RKE fuse? Did thet erase the old FOBs before trying to program new ones?

The ECM has nothing to do with RKE or TPMS. The mosule is under the dash pad passenger side just above and ahead of the airbag.

15252034 will also program to your car but will not have remote start.

Did you confirm with your VIN or RPO code in the trunk. AP3 or AP8 for remotes to work.
If you have AU0 remotes won't program.

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Correction your year Cobalt uses same fuse as radio, so if your radio works RCDLR has power.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Radio does work and yes I was going to say I checked the diagrams and neither listed a RKE fuse which is why I was confused if it had a separate fuse, also checked that in the first place haha. The 22733524 is the remote I have and in the trunk I checked the tag the third set of 3 digits is AP3, the dealer had also looked up the vin number when I had to replace the hood latch to make sure I got the right one. Kinda what I thought about the ECM but I've had no luck in my research on the subject and the dealer wasn't too specific when they said computer :/

Is the RKE module still in the same place on my year of car? I can only assume that would be what is wrong then, I know that my remote is sending a signal I've checked it at a few different auto parts stores with their checkers and it shows its functioning everytime.

Thanks for your help too it is much appreciated

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I programmed 2 Cobalts today none had TPMS, the 2005 took a 22733523 and the 2008 needed a 22733524. When it came to a 2008 G5, also needing 22733524, I was stumped as to why I couldn't even find the key FOB menu. (It's TPM didn't work either) I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes and when I reconnected it my Tech II found the RCDLR module and the "Program key FOB" drop down menu was now there. I programmed the two key FOBs after that with no problems. The guy was so happy and appreciative and paid me with a firm handshake (unlike his girlfriend that kept bitching because she had lost all the preselect stations on the radio.)

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Crazy huh well I suppose I might try that then thanks again
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Does your car have TPMS in the wheels? Because I think this one the car battery went low on it and it hung the RCDLR CPU. So not saying this is your problem also, just happened to be his problem.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

But you have nothing to lose.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

justafan,

I am sorry the dealership was unable to address your concern. If you would like us to look further into this concern please let me know. You can reach out via private message as well.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Did you buy your remote on ebay? Is there a hyphen in the part number (something like 0218-002) on the main 8 pin IC on the FOB circuit board and 31 on the crystal. If there is no hyphen you might have the wrong board in the right case. A lot of the ebay FOB's are crap. I bet you I repair 80% of the ones I buy of ebay, even the ones that say new.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Initiate

wat fixed mine was tin foil and superglue my leads went bad so i superglued small amount of foil to rubber side works like new
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I didn't get it on ebay but amazon, same crap though probably and yea no hyphen :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode