Over Heating? Had Everyone Puzzled - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Unhappy Over Heating? Had Everyone Puzzled

I have a 2005 Chevy cobalt. I purchased the car with low mileage on it and like to think I properly maintained it through out the years. At this point how ever im not happy with my little blue friend.

I have gone to multiple mechanics, including 2 gmc dealerships.

here is my 2 year long story.

My car over heats. not always, it really is weather pending. on warm days, it takes sometimes less then 15 mins to get it self up to 100 degrees. My car has always hovered around 87-89 degree range, sometimes, up to 90. by 105-106, it stalls.

There is no dash lights indicating anything. I have no coolant leaks or low on coolant, thermostat is working as it should, rad is working fine. I have no problems with my heat, I have no problems with my AC either. In the winter time, the car runs perfect, never getting hot.

I have one mechanic, ( not gm) thinking that it may be the computer. Something about the relay is not receiving a signal from the computer to turn the fan on. This to me makes sense to a certain degree, how ever, this is the ONLY issue with the car, it over heats. He pulled the slow speed relay out for the fan to keep the fan for the motor running all the time, and the car ran like a charm, no issues what so ever! But I clearly cannot drive around for the rest of my cars years like this.

I have a second mechanic telling me that its the battery.....

Gm is telling me that its the water pump and want me to pay almost 600.00 to fix it. This to me does not make sense and I have heat, I have air conditioner in my car, and for what ever reason, when I turn on my AC, the compressor turns the fan on bringing the car back down to its normal temperature.

I have no idea what to think here. I know I should be taking GMC dealership advice seeing as they made the car but for someone who has with a previous car replaced a water pump, doesn't seem like that could be the issue.

The second GMC dealership told me its nothing and its ok for the car to get hot like that. (someone clearly has no mechanical skills and should not be working at a dealership)

Im not sure what else to do, or how to go about finding out the issue with the car. I have spent so much money trying to figure out whats going on that im almost at a situation where I don't want to, im ready to walk away and get my self a pretty Elantra! Has anyone else had this issue? or know what the problem might be? any type of insight would be amazing! Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I think I know what your problem is. Do you live in the southern states?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Nope right out side buffalo Ny

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Okay then I believe somebody added pure water to your coolant at some point. Coolant works best at 50-50 mixture of Dexcool and distilled water. If your coolant is 30-70 it will still work somewhat but won't tranfer heat through the radiator fins as well as proper 50-50 Coolant. Have you ever had your system flushed and replaced by Dexcool?

By the way Fan 1 speed is only commanded at 106C so at 100 you're still within norms.

The ECM commands Low Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT) exceeds approximately 106C (223F).

• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 310 kPa (190 psi).

• After the vehicle is shut off, the ECT at key-off is greater than 140C (284F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay on for approximately 3 minutes.

The ECM commands High Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

• ECT reaches 110C (230F).

• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 655 kPa (240 psi).

• When certain DTCs set

When the request for fan activation is withdrawn, the fan may not turn OFF until the ignition switch is moved to the OFF position or the vehicle speed exceeds approximately 10 mph. This is to prevent a fan from cycling ON and OFF excessively at idle.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

The fan is not turning on unless I turn the AC on?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you don't have a TechII, let your car idle and watch the temperature monitor, it should turn fan one at approxamitely 106C if at 110C it hasn't come on you have an ECM issue.

If you have a TechII you can command the ECM to turn on fan 1 or fan 2. Then you will know that your ECM is good.

Do you know if your coolant is 50-50?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

im not sure. I haven't had the rad flushed in about 3 years maybe 4. ( I am the person who pays the garage to replace my lights lol) up until this issue, the only thing I knew about cars is how to drive them and when they make funny noises bring it to the garage.... how do I know if I have a TechII? Would the ECM effect anything else other then just the fan?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I still think your Dexcool has been diluted, and the symptoms you're talking about is typical of quick up temperatures and wierd responses from the system to try and correct what it reads.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

TechII is the GM scan tool used to diagnose these problems.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Im going to bring it in an have the coolant changed out. Seems like the cheaper option at this point. Thank you! Ill let you know how it goes.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Levee
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
It hasn't been answered yet, but your fan turns on with the AC because it needs to be on. The fan pushes air through the AC condensor (radiator in front of your coolant radiator) to help cool down the refrigerant oil in your Ac system.

If you fan works when the relay is removed, the fan is fine and your coolant temp sensor is bad, Relay is bad or ecm is bad. Just some insight.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode