Alternator, Belt, or Starter Problem. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Alternator, Belt, or Starter Problem.

Okay so heres my findings so far. My car would sometimes have trouble starting. The starter would wind for a few seconds, 3-5, and then start, while at other times it was perfectly fine. I had the battery tested, and it was at 60% (good but needed a charge). So that leaves the alternator as the culprit.

With the car running, the terminal in the front's voltage is 13.08-13.10, thats with the ac on/ ac off/ engine at idle/ engine at 2000rpm. no difference. Nothing changes the voltage from the front post.

EXCEPT (i heard this a few years ago, putting water/snow on the belt if its making a noise and if the noise stops you need a new belt.

SO, i poured a little bit of water on the belt lol. and BAM the voltage jumped to 14.2 with the ac blasting and music on, defrost on, everything running lol.

I did all these tests after driving the car about 10-20 km and having it sit for a few min. Basically looking for some opinions. Ill be changing the belt soon, but dont want to do that incase I have to replace the alternator as well.

Thanks to all who respond.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Did some testing at the battery and this is what I got. 12.52 with the car off.

Turned the car on and = 14.9 w car on only, 14.95 with car on, ac blasting, music, defrost, lights on.

Remaining at 13.95 - 14.58 with car on only again... so the alternator seems to be working right? increased load, increased voltage (therefore regulator is working also).... right? the voltage was at 13.98 99% of the time at the ON THE TERMINAL in the front.
BUT the voltage on the battery did drop to the 4-6 volt range for a split second while the car was running. (probably the multimeter/ contact on battery terminal) right?

Now when I turned the car off, the voltage dropped to 12.95 ish and keeping the multimeter on the for about 45 seconds it went down to 12.88...should I be worried about it going down that fast with just the trunk light on??

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

OR is this all okay, which is what im getting from researching it online and its actually the starter that has the problem? and if so, how would I test the starter.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

or could it be the fuel pump. because it does click back and forth in the car after I turn it off. but it has always done that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Maybe the bushings in your alternator are starting to seize up. Even with a worn belt alternator should have no problem turning, unless your serpentine idler has failed. Your battery seems fine. Alternator if it works good should be between 14.3-14.9 at 2000rpm.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Forum Regular

When your starter cranks, it is engaging the flywheel for those 3-5 seconds, right? I had the bendix go out on a starter of mine, and it would miss the flywheel on occasion and I would have trouble starting...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

thanks for the replies guys :D, it hasnt acted up again so Im a bit confused. Its only done it the two times but who knows. I'm leaving it alone for not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode