2007 Cobalt LT Car Wont Shut Off - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Angry 2007 Cobalt LT Car Wont Shut Off

Hey guys i'm having a really weird problem with my cobalt LT 2007. There seems to be two common problems that occur each day.

1st: when im driving my car, all of a sudden all the odometers drop (gas, rpm and speed) and the emergency break light comes up (red ! with the circle around it) and seems to be in some sort of lock mode as when I stop and put it in park and turn the key off and pull the key out the car still runs and does not allow me to turn it off. Also when I try to put the key back in and turn it on it does nothing and will not let me change gears it just stays locked with the emerge break light on even when the emergency break is not on. The first time it happened the car ran for 10 min and shut off but last night it took 1 hr so I thought it had something to do with the factory starter that came with the car however it does not seem to think its in automatic start mode, rather than theft mode but the yellow antitheft lock is not on. In order for me to turn my car off I pull the start relay out and then have to turn the battery off as the lights remain on as well as the radio windows up/down and interior light and dash light. The only one that doesn't seem to work is the unlock/ lock inside and on my key itself. It always seems to "reset" itself and allow me to start it back up again and use the unlock/lock from the key but it makes absolutely no sense and has been doing it for a week straight. Last note, the km display just shows dotted lines that go across the display and doesn't show me how many km's it is (ONLY WHEN IN THIS LOCK MODE)

2nd: when i turn it off and lock it with my key I can come back 15 min later to unlock it but it does nothing. I then have to manually unlock with the key and when I try to turn on the car ... nothing. just shows the engine light and that emergency break light with the dotted lines across the km display. I had to walk away from the car for 15 min the first time and came back and it "reset" the longest it has taken is an hour and a half and that time i disengaged the battery to do so.

I'm really stumped as to what to do, i brought it to GM but they told me they wouldn't know until it acted up infront of them. I left it with them for two days and it didnt act up and as soon as I took it back for the weekend it kept doing one of these two problems. Ive looked up similar problems but it seems as if people having the "passlock" problem the yellow theft lock light flashes on their dash however that is not the case for me.

If anyone has had a similar problem like this one I would greatly appreciate some advice or even if you think you can direct me towards a symptom that may be affecting my car. It's very confusing and I have no clue why it's doing this.

p.s my friend suggested that maybe the computer for the anti theft lock system needs to be changed? I feel like it does have something to do with thinking its in theft mode. also have there been any recalls on something like this that anyone has heard of? Thanks again any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by jastgen; 10-06-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If your cluster loses incoming data, all gauges will go to zero and odometer will go ------. This means you are losing GMLan to your cluster, "EBCM" if you have ABS brakes and "BCM". Before trying anything expensive pull the ECM/TCM fuse from the "BCM" fuseblock, (Should be a 10 amp red fuse #25 in drawing) look at the fuse tabs to see if they have tarnished or pitted. If so replace this fuse, you should have one in the spare fuse location. Then try to see if your car will work better. In drawing #1 is fuse puller #2#3#4#5 are spares.

If it looks like this definitely change it.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 10-06-2013 at 07:09 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks a lot

Hey thanks for the reply, I will try this tomorrow morning, however do you think this would effect the fact that the car stays on for long periods of time even after the key is turned off and taken out. Also would you know why the emergency brake light comes up when in this "mode"

Thanks a lot for your time and help

Last edited by Coby7; 10-06-2013 at 06:34 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've seen weirder stuff with the "BCM" because it controls everything about the car. It starts the car after all conditions are met and shuts it "OFF" after all conditions are met. If the GMLan is lost, the "BCM" gets a lot of the conditions unmet and would not know what to do. A lot of the times the GMLan is intermittent and the problem is only there for a second or 2. Your's just happens to stay long enough for you to see these symptoms. Most people when they turn the key off the problem isn't there anymore so the engine shuts down. Does your car have remote start?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Okay so I unplugged that fuse and the car wouldn't start. plugged it back in and it would. Fuse looked fine too... any other ideas?

---------- Post added at 07:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

yes it has a factory remote start. I was thinking it may have something to do with that as well however when i start the car using the remote starter it seems like its not in the same mode its in when it doesnt allow me to start the car or turn the car off
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't think it has anything to do with your remote start because that as to do with RKE module, but still goes through BCM. What I was wondering is next time it won't shut off with the key, try starting it with remote, eventhough it's already running, then shutting it down with remote to see if BCM gets command from RKE module and if it will shut down engine.

Did you change the fuse or put the same one back in?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yes I changed the fuse just to see if there would be a difference. When the car stays on i cannot use the function of my unlock/lock inside the car or with my key containing the unlock and lock with the automatic start therefore it does not allow me to turn off the car using the automatic start.

Today when i came to a complete stop at a red light my speedometer ticker was jumping up and down and at random times my rpm did the same. As i would start taking off it felt as if the tranny was slipping however I dont think there is anything wrong with the tranny but this is the latest that seems to be happening. I changed the fuse to see if anything would change but it is still doing it. when i unplugged the fuse (25 ECM/TCM) the car wouldnt start so i put it back in and it started. so I changed the fuse with a spare to see if that would help with the problem but it's still doing the same thing. The car has not stayed on or not let me start it so far today just seems to be a new problem now with the ticker jumping up and down and when i start the tranny seems to slip when changing from first gear to second (its an automatic)

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

sorry when I take off the ticker jumps up and down and the tranny slips from 1st to 2nd and then is fine. This has never happened and I dont drive my car like an idiot so like I said I dont think its the tranny.

Could the computer for my car have anything to do with all of these stupid problems? I know how expensive they are but could all of these problems be caused by the computer in the car having to be changed?
Thanks
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I would look at bad contacts first. Disconnect the battery, then unplug P1 and P2 from "BCM" then replug same with "PCM" or "ECM" conectors just to see if this will clean them enough to clear your problem. If it does then spray these with contact cleaner and add dielectric grease to help keep moisture out.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

jastgen,

I see you are diagnosing your vehicle with Coby7. If you do end up needing your GM dealership to look into this for you, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Hi there,

I am still unfortunately having issues with this problem and it is beginning to really frustrate me. I have went multiple times to the Chevrolet dealership (crosstown chevrolet) and had them look into the problem however they have only been able to hook up the computer to my car when it goes into this mode. They told me to change my deck back to the factory so that is what I did. I went to school and turned my car off took the key out however the ignition was still on and the odometer reading read ------- across the screen and the emergency brake light comes up but doesn't allow me to turn the car off. In order to do this i must pull the start/stop relay and then the battery to turn all the lights off and allow the car to go into reset mode. I really would appreciate some help towards this as it is becoming very frustrating. Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
2007 , anti-theft , cobalt , passlock , won't start

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode