Electrical Problems....maybe? Please Help. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

08 Cobalt Won't Start. Please Help.

First I'd to start off by thanking everyone in advance for any help provided. My girlfriend owns a 2008 Cobalt and this morning, after driving fine for months, just simply would not start. The motor turns over fine but won't start. Before we get into that, a brief history of the car....a few months ago her automatic door locks went haywire and were open/closing non-stop. I did some research and found that most people point to the BCM for this problem. I just pulled the fuse for the auto locks and called it a day. The car has been running fine since. About 4/5 months later (today) she went outside and the car would not start. Ive been tinkering here and there and after a little research I found that this issue could be one of many problems including the BCM.

I disconnected the batteries and pulled the big red plug out, blew out any dust, slapped some Dielectric grease on it and plugged it back in.

After this, I jumped in to start it.....started up right away. I even drove it around the block and let it run for a few minutes. Ran fine.

I turned off the car, got out, and hung around for a bit.

I went to test it again. Car started...idled fine for 15 sec and just died. It is now back to not starting. The engine turns over but the car does not start.

Any Ideas???

Last edited by turq28; 10-11-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You might have corrode fuse tabs. Pull fuses pertaining to engine under the hood. Pulling and re-inserting will clean the tabs enough to get a good contact. But I have a funny feeling it might have to do with the fuel pump or fuel filter is pluged.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Levee
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
Quote:
Originally Posted by turq28 View Post
First I'd to start off by thanking everyone in advance for any help provided. My girlfriend owns a 2008 Cobalt and this morning, after driving fine for months, just simply would not start. The motor turns over fine but won't start. Before we get into that, a brief history of the car....a few months ago her automatic door locks went haywire and were open/closing non-stop. I did some research and found that most people point to the BCM for this problem. I just pulled the fuse for the auto locks and called it a day. The car has been running fine since. About 4/5 months later (today) she went outside and the car would not start. Ive been tinkering here and there and after a little research I found that this issue could be one of many problems including the BCM.

I disconnected the batteries and pulled the big red plug out, blew out any dust, slapped some Dielectric grease on it and plugged it back in.

After this, I jumped in to start it.....started up right away. I even drove it around the block and let it run for a few minutes. Ran fine.

I turned off the car, got out, and hung around for a bit.

I went to test it again. Car started...idled fine for 15 sec and just died. It is now back to not starting. The engine turns over but the car does not start.

Any Ideas???

First let me start by saying welcome and thanks for joining! Now to help you out a little bit. A little more diagnostic information can go a long way. In order for any engine to run it needs air, fuel and ignition. IF you pull out the spark plugs, look at them and see if they are wet and smell of fuel. If they are, you may need to replace the spark plugs as they may not be sparking. There are ways to test this and I'm positive someone here can tell ya (as I don't have a whole lot of time to explain it right now). If the plugs are fine, check your fuel system. I know it's vague, but I'm positive someone can help you until I can get back to my computer to help. If it hasn't been figured out by then, I'll be more than happy to go into further diagnostics on your car for you and this will all be stuff you can do willingly without a mechanic.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for the responses! Ill be getting back at the car tomorrow morning so I'll be posting early with any new updates.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

So, really strange.....before I went to do anything to the car I tried starting it and it turned on right away! Even drove it around the block again and it drove as it would normally. I'm still going to do some basic diagnostic stuff and Ill go through some fuses. Will update soon.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Pulling and re-inserting each fuse after 5 years is always good preventative maintenance. An other good perventative action is to remove all "TCM,ECM and BCM" connectors and re-inserting while inspecting for corrosion at the same time. Disconnect battery before doing this though. There is also a big "BCM" fuse in the trunk beside the battery.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Alright so like I said earlier the car ran fine. I decided to pull the plugs anyway....they seem fine. The air filter is only like 2 months old. Any way, I left the car alone for a while and figured the lady and I take the Cobalt out for our errands. We got in to try and leave and again back to not starting. The car is not bogging or choking just deciding not to start. Im going to go back out in a few minutes to mess around again. Will let you guys know anything else I find.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Went back out...checked the fuses again including big one in the trunk. Still won't start.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Might want to look at ground connections then. You pulled each fuses right? You pulled each connectors too right?

Last edited by Coby7; 10-19-2013 at 08:20 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Hey all.....sorry I get pretty busy throughout the work week and didnt get to mess with the car. @Coby7, yea I pulled each one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode