2010 Cobalt 30000 Kilometres - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Exclamation 2010 Cobalt 30000 Kilometres

Hi. I am a new cobalt owner and new to this forum so please excuse me If I do something wrong. My name is George and I am from Canada.

I bought mine a week ago and it is a 2010 LT with 30k Kilometres on it. Since I got the car I have been lurking around all the cobalt forums for an answer to all of my rattles, but no luck. Straight to the issues:

I have a really loud rattle coming from underneath the dash (at slow speeds) that I am pretty sure comes from the I-shaft, because I took out the 60 amp fuse and drove it around with no power steering - rattle still there. Is there anything I can do about it or just ignore it ?

The second rattle that really drives me nuts is a metal clunk from the Rear driver side that I hear at really low speeds and CAN reproduce by just Hitting on the tire with my fist. I raised the car on stands and got under it and was hitting the tire 20 minutes and feeling the parts on the suspension, but could not figure out what is it.

And the third one is coming from the front end on Moderate - Big potholes and it sounds something like a "Tung" rubbery / metal clunk again I think the Drivers side. I checked the Control arm bushings and they are in place and looking good, no metal contact there. I tried to push on the Sway Bar links but they don't move out of place (car sitting on the ground). Is that a sigh that they are ok, or I have to raise the car to test them ?

I have called the dealer and they told me that my car has NO recalls what so ever, which sounds strange to me.

I really need the car for work and I spent my last savings and even took a little credit to buy this car, because I was thinking that It will last me a few years without any problems, but now I feel a bit depressed and discouraged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I think you are easily depressed and either need to relax or Prozac. Rear noise, check for a loose shock bolt. Intermediate shaft could alredy be bad but douthful unless car spent time under seawater. Bump clunk well that is a possibility with the saddle bushings, they seem to fail prematurely, replace them with MOOG urethane. None of these is dangerous just annoying. None will fail inspection. Drive your car, enjoy your car, fix your car, then start all over again.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

It took me 2 years to find a rattle in the rear passenger side but I found it, it's part of owning a Cobalt, find and fix the rattles that GM didn't bother with to be able to sell this car at such a low price.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Your problems are probably simple fixes. A cobalt will last a while with maintenance. I'm sure someone will help you out here

2005 cobalt base model coupe

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

What do you mean by "saddle bushings" and if it not the I-shaft what is it then , the steering motor ?
And which shock bolt , can you find a picture of the one you mean, cause I think the one that I see is pretty tight and in place...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Saddle bushings are the 2 bushing that saddle the swaybar at the sub frame bolted on by U clamps.

Not saying it isn't your intermediate shaft but at 30,000Kms it's a bit early for it to fail unless previous owner backed off the odometer. Regularly done to get a better price for the car.

The lower shock bolts might look tight but these can back off, so put a torque wrench to them at I believe
• Tighten the upper bolt to 90 Nm (66 lb ft).

• Tighten the lower bolt to 110 Nm (81 lb ft).

Last edited by Coby7; 11-05-2013 at 04:17 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for the great info. I will check those out and post the results. The car is at 30k for sure, but if the shaft is bad is that dangerous? And whats the proper way to check the sway links?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Not dangerous, just annoying.

For anti-sway bar end-links, put car on jacks and just pull on swaybar if there's any play at all change them.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thank you very much for all the info. My wife drives the car sometimes that's why I am hoping it's not dangerous, cause if this thing snaps in mid driving shit can really hit the fan.
Thanks again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Intermediate shaft can almost totally disintegrate before it fails completely to dangerous level. I've seen U joints so bad that the thought of driving it would make your eyes bleed yet these people had been driving it this way for years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
2010 , clunk , cobalt , rattle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode