Burning Oil Issue---Ideas? LNF Turbo - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Burning Oil Issue---Ideas? LNF Turbo

Posted in a couple other places, looking for some more input.

08 LNF SS

My old stock turbo blew, I replaced it with a seemingly perfect stocker with absolutely no shaft play.
I cleaned all the piping, intercooler, & everything getting old residue out. So the smoke isn't old stuff.
The car only smokes at idle or if you throw it in neutral after driving on reacceleration it will start smoking. The car doesn't smoke under boost, or normal driving conditions at all.

Myself & a very skilled mechanic looked at the car last night trying to figure out the issue. We were fairly crunched on time but ruled it down to 2 things it would have to be.

1. The exhaust side of the turbo seal is blown.
or 2. The breather line from the valve cover to the turbo isn't functioning correctly.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
CalebPatton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 188
How much oil Are you losing? And how long ago did you change the turbo(km)?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

09 SS/TC 4DR G85
dawkness is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Levee
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin


 
Leveecius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Posts: 3,210
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
I need more information regarding the last turbo blowing. Was it just the seals or was there more than just that?

Also are you tuned to run more boost than 20psi?

Do you have any oil residue on the compressor side of the turbo or is that clean?

1. The exhaust side of the turbo seal being blown would cause smoking under boost as when you're boosting you're getting more oil pressure.

2. The breather line from the Valve cover to turbo can actually draw oil in from the valve cover/head to the turbo, this is why i said check the compressor side of the turbo (intake side) and see if there is oil residue in there. If that is the case, you will need to run a catch can to keep that from happening. If that isn't the case, then we have other issues, and I need my other questions answered before I can let ya know.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor


06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.


Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
Leveecius is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 02:22 AM
Cobalt Specialist


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,145
What is the color of the smoke when this occurs? Different colors will tell you exactly whats the problem, but yes worn seals may cause leaks.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE U74
Mods: K&N Typhoon Intake, Option Cat-Back Exhaust, Cosmo Short shifter, Maxxim Ahead 17X7's, MPx shorty antenna, FE5 Strut/shocks, Tein S Techs, Moog endlinks, Moog spring seaters, ZZP shorty header, LSJ downpipe, LNF front grille
5t3alth is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveecius View Post
I need more information regarding the last turbo blowing. Was it just the seals or was there more than just that?

Also are you tuned to run more boost than 20psi?

Do you have any oil residue on the compressor side of the turbo or is that clean?

1. The exhaust side of the turbo seal being blown would cause smoking under boost as when you're boosting you're getting more oil pressure.

2. The breather line from the Valve cover to turbo can actually draw oil in from the valve cover/head to the turbo, this is why i said check the compressor side of the turbo (intake side) and see if there is oil residue in there. If that is the case, you will need to run a catch can to keep that from happening. If that isn't the case, then we have other issues, and I need my other questions answered before I can let ya know.
Car is bone stock, un tuned.
Previous owner overboosted the turbo & I'm not sure exactly if fins were chewed or what. (I know the guy who had it before, guy is a moron. Got a good deal on the car. Other than this issue, the car is amazing.)
I've had everything from a 6.0 GTO, to a H/C/I F body, to a couple built Srt4's, to a STI & so on. & to be honest this car is my favorite car I've owned. I really do love this car.

Anyway, there is some oil residue on the compressor side. This was after cleaning everything out & letting the car idle for a bit.
I'm losing very little to no oil as well. I've checked it frequently.

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5t3alth View Post
What is the color of the smoke when this occurs? Different colors will tell you exactly whats the problem, but yes worn seals may cause leaks.
Its oil, lol.
CalebPatton is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Levee
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin


 
Leveecius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Posts: 3,210
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebPatton View Post
Car is bone stock, un tuned.
Previous owner overboosted the turbo & I'm not sure exactly if fins were chewed or what. (I know the guy who had it before, guy is a moron. Got a good deal on the car. Other than this issue, the car is amazing.)
I've had everything from a 6.0 GTO, to a H/C/I F body, to a couple built Srt4's, to a STI & so on. & to be honest this car is my favorite car I've owned. I really do love this car.

Anyway, there is some oil residue on the compressor side. This was after cleaning everything out & letting the car idle for a bit.
I'm losing very little to no oil as well. I've checked it frequently.

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------



Its oil, lol.
Sounds to me like the vent line from the valve cover to the intake. That's very common for those to draw oil into the turbo. You can add a catch can and that will help the situation a lot. Most turbo cars have this issue, shoot, my evo had this issue all the way until I went Speed Density, so bacially it's any turbo car that uses the vacuum of the intake pipe to the turbo from the valve cover to help vent excess pressure for the PCV valve. I'd say change the PCV valve and put in a catch can and call it a day

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

and you say the car is un-tuned.. How did the previous owner over boost the turbo if the factory turbo has an EBC on it that is bolted to the turbo itself? If he just unhooked that it would throw a code, and if he just put in a MBC, it would throw a code and I'd be questioning a few other things now too.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor


06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.


Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
Leveecius is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveecius View Post
Sounds to me like the vent line from the valve cover to the intake. That's very common for those to draw oil into the turbo. You can add a catch can and that will help the situation a lot. Most turbo cars have this issue, shoot, my evo had this issue all the way until I went Speed Density, so bacially it's any turbo car that uses the vacuum of the intake pipe to the turbo from the valve cover to help vent excess pressure for the PCV valve. I'd say change the PCV valve and put in a catch can and call it a day

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

and you say the car is un-tuned.. How did the previous owner over boost the turbo if the factory turbo has an EBC on it that is bolted to the turbo itself? If he just unhooked that it would throw a code, and if he just put in a MBC, it would throw a code and I'd be questioning a few other things now too.
I pm'd you.
CalebPatton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome