High Mileage Issues? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

High Mileage Issues?

Lately I've been starting to wonder if I should sell my Cobalt before I have any major issues and the mileage gets to high. The odometer just rolled over 85k last night. So far the only problems have been the front wheels bearings. I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil but change it around 8-9k miles instead of going the 15k that it is rated for. I keep it maintained, clean/detailed. That only goes so far because things can happen. I could go another 85k miles without any major issues or develop a laundry list of issues. You never know. The Power train Warranty ends at 100k I think it's a little more difficult to sell a vehicle when you crest that mark too. At least for a decent price.

How are the high mileage Cobalts doing?

2009 Cobalt LT 2LT - Silverstar Ultra Low beams and fog lights along with a few LEDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by massguy View Post
Lately I've been starting to wonder if I should sell my Cobalt before I have any major issues and the mileage gets to high. The odometer just rolled over 85k last night. So far the only problems have been the front wheels bearings. I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil but change it around 8-9k miles instead of going the 15k that it is rated for. I keep it maintained, clean/detailed. That only goes so far because things can happen. I could go another 85k miles without any major issues or develop a laundry list of issues. You never know. The Power train Warranty ends at 100k I think it's a little more difficult to sell a vehicle when you crest that mark too. At least for a decent price.

How are the high mileage Cobalts doing?
High mileage problems, what's that? Lol no but cobalts will last forever if you maintain it correctly. I have 131000 miles and mine runs like a champ.

2005 cobalt base model coupe
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've got roughly 75k miles of a mixture of city and highway driving, and so far she's held up fine. Electronics are hit or miss as many things are failing. Two blown door speakers, CD player skips and scratches up CDs, auto door locks are buggy, cruise control lets go at random, oil life minder resets itself, power steering motor died, just to name a few. However, the mechanics are good, never had a serious problem since buying used with 37k miles. Just standard maintenance things like loose endlinks, spark plugs, weak battery, questionable accessory belt, hole in flex pipe, broken rear springs, brakes (drums last much longer though) minor things really, so you could call it reliable. I learned stick on this car and have beaten it on more than one occasion so I really can't complain about the little issues.

However, being a 2006 base model G5 sedan, the resale is appalling. Best offer I've ever got was $2000. My plan is to stick it out with the old girl until she is no longer roadworthy.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
I've got roughly 75k miles of a mixture of city and highway driving, and so far she's held up fine. Electronics are hit or miss as many things are failing. Two blown door speakers, CD player skips and scratches up CDs, auto door locks are buggy, cruise control lets go at random, oil life minder resets itself, power steering motor died, just to name a few. However, the mechanics are good, never had a serious problem since buying used with 37k miles. Just standard maintenance things like loose endlinks, spark plugs, weak battery, questionable accessory belt, hole in flex pipe, broken rear springs, brakes (drums last much longer though) minor things really, so you could call it reliable. I learned stick on this car and have beaten it on more than one occasion so I really can't complain about the little issues.

However, being a 2006 base model G5 sedan, the resale is appalling. Best offer I've ever got was $2000. My plan is to stick it out with the old girl until she is no longer roadworthy.
Yeah you won't get your money out of it. I love mine too much to let go for a couple thousand

2005 cobalt base model coupe
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Like I've said before keep the oil close to the full mark or even a bit over with these cars with regular oil changes and they will last a long time.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Like I've said before keep the oil close to the full mark or even a bit over with these cars with regular oil changes and they will last a long time.
couldnt agree with this more, i'm at about 238k miles with my 06model and she still runs dang good i think and i've done nothing but change the oil every 3to4k
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

238k? Makes mind look new!

I just checked the Private Party price of mine. It's in the low $7k range. Guess I'll be keep it a little longer unless I want to put out some cash.

2009 Cobalt LT 2LT - Silverstar Ultra Low beams and fog lights along with a few LEDs.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Staff Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry06 View Post
couldnt agree with this more, i'm at about 238k miles with my 06model and she still runs dang good i think and i've done nothing but change the oil every 3to4k
I got 171 almost 172 on my 05 no problems beside a rusty fuel line I fixed and a hole in exhaust I fixed
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:52 AM
Staff Alumni

Mine lasted for 181000, then decided to die. Timing chain jumped a tooth. Do your timing chain maintenance and you'll be golden.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 05:03 AM
Forum Regular

Have a 2009. I'm at around 92,000+/- I forget lol. Could be closing in on 93,000. It's early sorry. I get concerned on this stuff as well. My car was my mothers and she stopped driving so I basically got it when it was brand new. Jobs had me driving alot and plenty of trips I regret taking. Like stupid stuff when I went out having fun rather than looking for work when I was laid off for a while. Makes me wonder how much less miles I'd have on it if I hadn't done that.
But anyways I think this is probably the last car I'm getting unless I pay for one myself. I've been fortunate enough that when I was in school I could use my mothers then that got traded in for this cobalt which I got to use. All I pay for is gas, oil and filters, registration plus some insurance when I can plus any other maintenance things. I keep up to date on all the maintenance and stuff so never any real major issues. Only one so far was a leak on the top of the engine, but that was early in the going just after we got it. Also had a window motor die, but that was fixed. Currently drivers side rear doesn't work(not a priority cause it is closed all the way) Just need to find a motor at the junkyard or something. Just put new tires on recently after having the originals on for that long. But other than that it has been good. And I'm paranoid about things, anything odd or weird noises I bug out. Hopefully everything is still good for a while longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode