My Beef with Chevy - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
My Beef with Chevy

So my girlfriend recently lost sound in her driver door speaker, which means she lost all chimes and warning sounds. I spent the better part of Sunday night replacing the front pair of speakers, and I wanted to share some of my frustration.

Let me preface this by saying I have always been a GM man and this experience does not change that, but I still need to get this off my chest. I have four main issues with Chevy regarding this speaker replacement.

1) Why did Chevy stray from using the traditional turn signal flasher for chimes? What happens if the front driver speaker goes out? All the chimes are gone. This may have been an interesting idea at the time, but it doesn't work in the long run.

2) Why are the front speakers mounted to the door using a single screw? The pivot "hinge" at the bottom of the door is insufficient in my opinion to evenly secure the speaker to the door. I would prefer to have seen 4-6 screws spaced evenly to apply consistent tension.

3) Why is the speaker hole non-symmetrical? When you take off the old speaker, you're left with an oddly shaped hole in the door that you cannot simply replace with a circular 6.5" speaker. You MUST either replace with a new factory speaker or fabricate something to make a non-stock speaker fit. Which brings me to my last point.

4) Why is the speaker completely enshrouded in a plastic mount? There are no screws that would allow the speaker to be removed and replaced. I did not want to buy a GM factory speaker (sound quality snobbery), so I had to Frankenstein the existing speaker mount to remove the blown speaker and then drill holes in the mount to accommodate an aftermarket speaker.

All in all, this project was a success, but it should not have been as difficult as it was. I'm interested to see if anyone else has encountered these issues and what their take is on the matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 01:36 AM
Forum Regular

You could of just reused the old speaker shell. Just get a hammer and hit it out clean up the plastic the sticking out .then get the new speakers and make sure there not to long and screw the new speakers to the shell. Bam beef gone.
I believe the was a DIY in the audio section.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Or you could have bought GM speaker adaptors for 10$ a pair from amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-SAGMHR634B-2006-Up-Chevrolet-Speaker/dp/B0015A8Q7S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1384346585&sr=8-6&keywords=gm+speaker+adaptor
These changes are all done to increase ease of production so GM can keep the price low.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 11-13-2013 at 04:45 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I didn't know the signal chime emanated from the door speakers. Both my front stock speakers are blown and the flashers are as noisy as ever, which is good. Although I did drive a 2010 model and they sounded nothing like mine. I've got a 2006 G5 base.

As for Chevy's decision. Well, you get what you pay for I suppose. If you paid 50k for this car then it would be a different story.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
I didn't know the signal chime emanated from the door speakers. Both my front stock speakers are blown and the flashers are as noisy as ever, which is good. Although I did drive a 2010 model and they sounded nothing like mine. I've got a 2006 G5 base.

As for Chevy's decision. Well, you get what you pay for I suppose. If you paid 50k for this car then it would be a different story.

I got an 05 and both speakers are blown and I still here the blinkers and seat belt and when u have your door open chime
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Yeah, 05-06 have a little speaker in the cluster assembly for the chimes.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneBlueBalt View Post
You could of just reused the old speaker shell. Just get a hammer and hit it out clean up the plastic the sticking out .then get the new speakers and make sure there not to long and screw the new speakers to the shell. Bam beef gone.
I believe the was a DIY in the audio section.
This is basically what I did. But it's not as simple as it sounds. The outside diameter of the speaker shell is in fact 6.5", but the diameter of the speaker inside is about 5.25". The 6.5" Sony's I bought would not fit inside, so I had to saw off the front half of the shell, sand it until I had a flush mounting surface, then drill holes through the plastic to match the mounting holes on the Sony brackets. I'm not the fastest guy in the world, but it seemed to take forever. Hence the beef, lol.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Or you could have bought GM speaker adaptors for 10$ a pair from amazon.com Amazon.com: Scosche SAGMHR634B 2006-Up Chevrolet HHR/Impala Speaker Adapter for 6+-Inch or 6+-Inch: Car Electronics

These changes are all done to increase ease of production so GM can keep the price low.
Coby7, this would definitely have saved me a lot of time and hassle. I read somewhere that such adapters existed, but I was on a time crunch to get it done before my girlfriend went out of town, so I couldn't wait for shipping.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 01:10 AM
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Griswold90;888753]This is basically what I did. But it's not as simple as it sounds. The outside diameter of the speaker shell is in fact 6.5", but the diameter of the speaker inside is about 5.25". The 6.5" Sony's I bought would not fit inside, so I had to saw off the front half of the shell, sand it until I had a flush mounting surface, then drill holes through the plastic to match the mounting holes on the Sony brackets. I'm not the fastest guy in the world, but it seemed to take forever. Hence the beef, lol.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

That's what I kinda did. Except sanding part I made it flush as possible with the saw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode