Something's Wrong After a Night in the Snow.... - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Something's Wrong After a Night in the Snow....

So the other night my car was parked in my neighbours driveway which was snow covered - the snow came up to the bottom of my car. Then it got so cold it wouldn't start in the morning. After spending a good hour searching for the plug for the block heater (which was tucked in behind a big cover on the passenger side closest to the windshield, we had it plugged in for about 45 min and it started. Nothing was wrong. It was then used to go down the street to the store and back. About 2 hours later something went wrong, and it has not been fixed. The check engine light and traction light is on, and my screen says 'SERVICE TRACTION POWER STEERING NO TRACTION'. I have no traction, power steering, speedometer, my temp. gauge and kms tracked gauges are not working. My daytime lights do not turn on. My car does not lock with in gear. My transmission does not shift down so I can only go 95 km/hr max and that's pushing up to 5 RPMs. When I step on or off the brake I hear a click underneath my shifter (automatic). I checked underneath my car and I saw an exposed wire - the cover was broken off so I duct taped it. I'm assuming all my sensors are gone as nothing works on my screen except my oil and coolant levels. I don't even know if my gas gauge is working as I haven't noticed it go down yet. I'm not sure what to do as I live a half hour from my dealership, I have young kids at home with me and no one to watch them so I can take it to town. I'm trying to find home remedies to help! So if anyone can help me out, it would be appreciated! I use this forum all the time, so I hope I'm not the only one experiencing this!

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

BTW it's a 2008 chevy cobalt LS (I think) 4dr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You blew a fuse. Check your fuses, probably the BCM2 fuse under the hood.

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Or maybe the big BCM 50 amp fuse in the trunk...

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I was checking my fuses, they were all intact on the inside, but darkened on the metal, but not melted or burnt looking, not sure if they're out. This was under my hood. The fuse box diagram DOES NOT mach my fuse box so I don't know what to look for. And I have no idea if there is a fuse box in my trunk - I was looking at the battery and did not see anything.
What is the BCM2 fuse or BCM 50?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
In the trunk it is and in-line fuse to the left of the battery next to the current sensor. Fuse diagram underhood should match. Reference yourself to the steering connector to one corner.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I checked the fuses, replaced a few, but still the same problem. I went into a service center today and told them about it. They were nice enough to run a code scanner on it for free and there were 2 codes - one about the transmission control module, and another one about the power steering they were unfamiliar with. I'm booked to go back on Thursday next week to see if they can fix it, if not then I have to contact a dealership. Darn cold, has to mess with my lemon of a car!

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

i just found a youtube video of a TCM failure - looks like that's what I'm facing!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

So to update, I spent a week waiting for a local mechanic to look at my car. He couldn't help so I had to take it to the dealership. After what seemed forever (8 hours waiting, stranded in the city) they confirmed it was the Transmission Control Module that had failed and set off 21 other error codes. It cost $450 to get it fixed. They told me that it's a known issue with Cobalts that if you boost a vehicle you need to put the clamps on the posts a specific way or you can arc your TCM. Apparently my husband did use my car to try to boost my sister's G6 and that's when the issue started. So now I will use my little booster cable that attaches to the 12V portal in the dash if it's ever needed instead of under the hood, or charge a $450 boosting fee!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 02:33 AM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Sounds like horseshit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode