Cold Weather Reduced Power - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Cold Weather Reduced Power

It's really cold in Chicago. In past winters as now I have problems with idle at stops or under 5 mph after the car has been running for a few miles. RPMs drop below 500 and engine will shut off if I don't give it a little gas and keep moving. Also in this extreme cold, I now get Reduce Power. I let the car warm for 10 minutes and then restart. Sometimes this works. I've seen that this could be the MAF sensor. Cleaned with the proper stuff, but I don't how it gets to the "inards" as the little chip only has 3 little openings. Am I doing this correctly? Also, the air intake manifold (past air filter, over the engine) builds up an oily ice mixture - 1-2 oz.) I kid you not. It's not a gasket issue as far as I can tell because I don't find fluids mixed in either the oil or antifreeze. No loss of performance when it's actually warm out. My thought is that the vacuum hose off of the engine manifold is putting the oil fumes into a cold environment (the air intake manifold) too far from the throttle body in order to be burned. Instead it builds up in the nooks and crannies of the air intake mixing with the cold air. Then once the car is warm, the ice melts and dumps into the throttle body causing a bad mixture. Other thoughts? I've have ECM/PCM issues and reflashed a few years ago, but I'm thinking this Cobalt is just too electronically sensitive. If not a MAF issue, could it be the MAP sensor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode