Air Vents/Ducts Stuck..... - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Cool Air Vents/Ducts Stuck.....

Ok so all of the air director fins ar starting to get really hard to move or adjust. I already did some looking around and if they are definately molded into the dash is there anything I can do to loosen them up? I was thinking i could try to work in some wd40 or something but wanted to see what everyone had to say before.

Current: 25% tint driver and pass, 18% rear driver, pass and back windows. Shorty Antenna, K&N Intake Short Ram.Gloss black painted trim, taillights tinted, black headlight housing, LED trunk, reverse, and licence plate lights, Fender hash marks, black chevy symbols, Debaged and deleted side thingys. Thong hanging from rearview mirror..

Next: Head and Tailights, Exaust, Lowering Springs.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:36 AM
Contributor

WD-40 will give you the oily smell for a bit...I'd try to look for a "dry" lubricant, or silicone-based. Guessing someone plugged the louvers with cleaning liquids (gummed), or are they damaged? If you take the dash apart...these should pop out for easier cleaning.

06 Cobalt LS (for my daughter)
MSgt, USAF (Retired)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I'm not sure it's been like that since I got it but am now getting fustrated with it. And yeah good point I doubt that wd40 and fabreeze fresh linen will mix well. And I don't really have anywhere to take apart the dash in this apartment complex. Looks like I get to visit AutoZone soon lol!

Current: 25% tint driver and pass, 18% rear driver, pass and back windows. Shorty Antenna, K&N Intake Short Ram.Gloss black painted trim, taillights tinted, black headlight housing, LED trunk, reverse, and licence plate lights, Fender hash marks, black chevy symbols, Debaged and deleted side thingys. Thong hanging from rearview mirror..

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:47 AM
Contributor

Understand...I say park in the back-40 somewhere and get a set of these: 5 Piece Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set

Then open a couple of cold ones, snap off the plastic, clean & re-assemble. Can put pieces in back seat, or trunk as you work along.

MSgt, USAF (Retired)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Is it really that simple to get it off? Just a guesstimate how long do you think that would take?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Contributor

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say try armour all...it's a cleaner an lubricant...might have to reapply it once in while....found this out by accident with plastic parts....just work it into the joints....don't know if it help out but just an idea.....:/

Megatron for global domination(0)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:41 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theparker View Post
Is it really that simple to get it off? Just a guesstimate how long do you think that would take?
Not a hard project at all; main thing is to go slow, be patient and assess before prying. Your interior dash is a mix of plastic clips and screws held together like puzzle pieces. If you Google search "how to remove Cobalt dash panels" there are guides, videos and pics. Doesn't take more than 15-20 minutes to get things apart...first time a tad longer due to getting familiar w/the process. Good luck & let us know how it goes.

MSgt, USAF (Retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode