New Owner of 2009 Cobalt LT Sedan, Several Issues - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

New Owner of 2009 Cobalt LT Sedan, Several Issues

I recently purchased a 2009 Cobalt LT sedan (auto transmission), 65k miles, based on a few factors:

I wanted a small car good for the city, something with great gas mileage, and something with good pickup and throttle response.

I do have a warranty up until 100k miles.

Here's the issues I'm noticing:

- Gas mileage is terrible! I'm getting 15 mpg in the city , maybe. Low 20s on highway. This is with just driver in car, maybe sometimes 1 passenger. I don't race the car off stop lights either. The air in the tires is good (actually a little high). It has been snowing a lot recently so I expected worse gas mileage but this is very low.
- Throttle delay is disappointing. I have noticed a sort of sweet spot where I have to half press the gas pedal to get the most power. The delay is worst when I'm going >35mph and then floor the pedal - there is about a half second delay before the RPMs change!
- Steering is "loose". I can turn the wheel either direction for a bit before the car turns at all. It just doesn't feel sporty at all. Can this be adjusted?
- Very rough over bumps & potholes (which there are a lot of where I live). It feels like a clunky taxi going over these, but is otherwise very smooth.
- Car locking system acts really funny (the other day it started
locking/unlocking itself while I was driving).

I'm wondering if
1) anyone else with the same car is experiencing any of these issues.
2) what I might be able to do.

I like the car and want to keep it, but these issues are dealbreakers for me right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

It might need a tune up. Plugs, filtera, all that stuff. I'm not a mechanic and I'm sure you'll get some replies today by members who know what they're dealing with when it come to cars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Contributor

ECM issue?

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Is your car lowered? Mine is and in Boston, which I did not know before I moved here, with its legendary potholes, my car sounds like it's breaking in two. I already had to have a rim leak fixed on a brand new Michelin Defender tire because of one pothole.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

You should also be getting 30 mpg or above with posted speeds on a highway. I would suggest having someone look at the ECM with the hesitation, gas mileage and the locks acting up.

Shorty Antenna, Painted Calipers, SAI K&N Intake, B&G Lowering Springs, FE5 Shocks and Struts, Moog End Links, Moog Tie Rod Ends, Polk Audio DXi650 Speakers - front and back.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for both of your insights so far.

dondiego, afaik car is stock (not lowered). And I know what you mean about those potholes, the feeling you get when you get a really good one, as if you cannot believe a car could hold together and sound like that at the same time.

Here's the thing, my gut was a little skeptical when I bought the thing, but it was a fair dealer price and I got a warranty, so I went though with it. But for all I know the ECM could have errors that were "cleared". Because I cannot understand getting such poor gas mileage unless something is wrong.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:33 AM
Contributor

Maybe Coby can weigh in when he sees this. If it is still under warranty, I would take it back and tell them what you told us.

Shorty Antenna, Painted Calipers, SAI K&N Intake, B&G Lowering Springs, FE5 Shocks and Struts, Moog End Links, Moog Tie Rod Ends, Polk Audio DXi650 Speakers - front and back.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Cobalts get great gas mileage. I've been getting 24 mpg in this 10f weather.. I don't drove slow. In the summer I get almost 37 on the highway driving at 65mph

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Contributor

For the locks/door switches...they go bad. It's the first thing I replaced on my daughter's 2006 LS. Go to Amazon...set for both doors is $23/shipped. Dorman# 901-035 was driver's part and Dorman 901-125 was for passenger.

06 Cobalt LS (for my daughter)
MSgt, USAF (Retired)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 05:24 PM
Cobalt Master

Aren't there recalls for steering and for the fuel pump? i would start by checking to see if the recalls have been taken care of yet..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Speed isn't everything. Sometimes, you just need a little style and flare in your motoring.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 05:29 PM
Forum Regular

Likely if this was bought at a gm dealer the recalls would have been done.

I too would bring it back and see if a tech can look at the issues. Front sway links, swaybar bushings, control arm bushings, steering i shafts and rattling steering columns are all fairly common issues. (rattles)P

Last edited by short4stuff; 01-27-2014 at 05:31 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Contributor

Cadillac converter might be a suspect to...bad gas mileage an sluggish take off....but that an non mechanic point....but some past experience .....:/

Megatron for global domination(0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode