Help Please!!! 09 Cobalt Ecotec Engine Gummed Up and Seized - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Help Please!!! 09 Cobalt Ecotec Engine Gummed Up and Seized

I need to know what I can use to clean out head under valve cover cause it is really gummed up due to previous lack of oil change. The engine never ran hot or anything so im thinking maybe I can clean it and possibly break it loose. Any thoughts anyone???

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Sorry guys the engine has seized on the previous post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Staff Alumni

I would pull the plugs and let the the pistons soak in some kerosene or diesel for a couple days and then try hand cranking the engine.

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Would those be good to clean all the gum from the valves, springs and cams?? I mean its really gummed up, even the cam sprockets and chain is gummed up. The chain is tight and all so I dont think there is any problems there.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 05:19 AM
Contributor

If you have access to a shop w/parts cleaner...best to dismantle and clean what you can. Then assess options for rebuild, or not...JMO.

If it was me, for the amount of time, effort & ca$h you'll dump into that seized motor, I'd go for motor swap. Our local Craigslist always has engines listed for decent price.

06 Cobalt LS (for my daughter)
MSgt, USAF (Retired)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 05:31 AM
Staff Alumni

heres what I would do. will cost you nothing compared to the time and $ to replace then motor and as you sit right now you cant really do any more damage to it.

let the diesel soak until the motor will begin to turn again. maybe it never does, but maybe it does. lets pretend like it does free up, clean as much sludge out of the top of the motor as you can and now drain the old oil out and turn on the car with a 50/50 mix of atf in it (in place of 5w30), don't rev it at all, just let it run until it warms up then drain the oil/atf. Now do that until the filters stop coming out full of sludge and you stop getting sludge buildup coming out of the drain plug hole. then replace with 5w30 only and you should be good to go. The biggest thing is you need the oil to get hot so it starts to clean the sludge out of there.

I've taken a 99' Silverado with 500k km on it with low oil pressure back to where it should be just by adding a liter of atf with a fresh oil change and letting it run for about an hour. He drove 5000km with the atf in it then we drained the oil and replaced with all 10w30 and he hasn't had a problem, was talking to him a month ago and his truck now has 580k km on it.

2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Thanks Ice and money for the feedback. Im on a limited budget so Im gonna have to go the cheaper route. I dont have access to a shop so Im gonna try the diesel fuel option just because I cant do any more damage. I really dont think the motor is in that bad of shape. It had a knock and threw some codes but when the knock started it wasnt ran but maybe 20 minutes because of it was misfiring so bad. I changed the cmp and ckp hoping the misfire was that but then the engine seized and wouldnt turnover again. The timing chain is tight so I dont think there is a problem there. I changed the oil also and no debris in the oil so I honestly dont think it spun a bearing. Im gonna give this a try and see if I can get it to break loose. Can I try to clean the valves and things with the diesel also or what would you suggest to use to clean it with????
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Staff Alumni

I've heard numerous old guys talk about cleaning old 350's but letting them run with diesel in the engine instead of oil, then draining and filling with oil

20/25 imp mpg
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

So you think I should use diesel to try and help clean all the sludge out of the top of the engine? As far as the oil goes I like the atf mixed with oil option to try and get the sludge out of the other parts of the engine. Im just hoping I can break it loose. Thanks for the advice and any future advice also.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Staff Alumni

I personally wouldn't put just diesel in my own vehicle if that tells you anything. Don't forget old guys also used PCB's and agent orange :p

I'd clean as much out of the valve cover as I could and then run the oil/atf and see how clean the top end comes after letting that run for 30 mins or so.

20/25 imp mpg
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

So in all reality its not going to hurt to use the diesel to try and break the sludge up for removal and to clean the valve cover. Thanks for your advice, it makes a big difference to have another opinion on things when your not sure exactly what to do next so I do appreciate all the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode