Mysterious Cold Weather Stall... - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Mysterious Cold Weather Stall...

Some quick stats; car is bone stock, low kilometers, runs fine, newer air cleaner, new plugs, and, yes, throttle body cleaned out (I cleaned the living fook right out of it and then some whereas it was actually quite clean to begin with). The car is auto shift.

The spontaneous mystery stall only happens when it's both cold outside and when I don't let the car fully warm up before I drive it. It mainly stalls when when I back out of my stall in at home or at work or wherever. However, I restart and all is reasonably well until the car reaches normal operating temperature.

...It's only a cold stall and not a shudder stall like from a malfunctioning TTC solenoid (had a '92 Z24 that had that issue and it was quite scary how it would fricking thud, bang, and shudder when stopping for a red light/sign).

...The car runs fines when it's either cold or warm, no misfiring or any other wonky things other than that cold engine stall.

...I managed to catch a view of the RPM jumping up a tad and then quickly falter into the stall.

Any leads from the vast collective knowledge base of the Cobalt/G5 nation? I'm at my wits end on this one. Thanks for reading. Let me know if I missed some details or if I could provide you with more details, but I think I have all the main areas covered, per se.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 06:16 AM
Forum Regular

Is this or has it still been an issue? I encountered this and within a few days it threw a throttle position sensor code. Long story short, my issues expanded, & after 2 years of sitting parked (& me in a leased crv), we JUST figured out the root of the evil.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 08:02 AM
Staff Alumni

Change your fuel filter or run some injector cleaner?

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 06:43 AM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by teri2280 View Post
Is this or has it still been an issue? I encountered this and within a few days it threw a throttle position sensor code. Long story short, my issues expanded, & after 2 years of sitting parked (& me in a leased crv), we JUST figured out the root of the evil.

What did you figure out?

Mine does this (RPM's jump up and down while it is sitting in drive but if I give it gas it stops the problem.) Only seems to happen when it is below freezing. Has actually died on me twice. Runs ok in summer although there seems to be some rough idling every once in awhile. After searching around on internet my husband cleaned something...air intake?? a couple times but did not fix problem. Mechanic said no codes thrown but there was a TSB for this and they downloaded something to the computer in the car....no fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
cold , stall , stalling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode