I Can't Get the Fuel Filter Off. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

I Can't Get the Fuel Filter Off.

I just spent the last thirty minutes trying to undo one of three lines attached to the fuel filter. I watched a video beforehand and it seemed extremely simple. I can't get the line off to save my life. Eventually I gave up for fear of breaking something.

Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions? I figure it's being such a pain because in my part of the world salt and slush gets all over everything.

2008 Cobalt 2.2 LS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 09:32 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroadvirus View Post
I just spent the last thirty minutes trying to undo one of three lines attached to the fuel filter. I watched a video beforehand and it seemed extremely simple. I can't get the line off to save my life. Eventually I gave up for fear of breaking something.

Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions? I figure it's being such a pain because in my part of the world salt and slush gets all over everything.

2008 Cobalt 2.2 LS
Three lines??

There is just an in and out. The out is a pinch clip, pinch it and pull it out. the in line is a quick release, you are supposed to use a special tool for that. If you want to go cheap, take a piece of fairly thin sheet metal and roll it to fit inside the fitting. Push it in the depress the clips and then pull then filter off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox4xSWc2sQM
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

I have the quick release for the right side (toward the drivers side). I didn't even bother doing that side seeing as I can't get the first of the two lines on the left off. There are definitely three, and if you watch that video you posted (I did before I even attempted this), he shows three clearly. I'm having trouble with the quick release clips. I think they're just really dirty. I'm going to try some penetrant to see if that helps at all.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 03:59 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroadvirus View Post
I have the quick release for the right side (toward the drivers side). I didn't even bother doing that side seeing as I can't get the first of the two lines on the left off. There are definitely three, and if you watch that video you posted (I did before I even attempted this), he shows three clearly. I'm having trouble with the quick release clips. I think they're just really dirty. I'm going to try some penetrant to see if that helps at all.
You know, you are totally right! There are 3. Lol! All my other cars only have the one.

Spray compressed air, penetrating fluid won't do much but attract more dirt.

Cheers!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Haha, no problem. I think I might buy some brake clean and go nuts. I posted this because I was sure someone else has had this problem or has some trick to getting them off.

I'll give compressed air a shot, too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 04:28 PM
Staff Alumni

Are you using a fuel line disconnect tool? Should be 3/8.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Staff Alumni

When you change it be sure to spray lots of fluid film into the main line to keep dirt from getting in there. It will also make it easier to remove next time

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosproject View Post
Are you using a fuel line disconnect tool? Should be 3/8.
I have the tool, but I haven't even attempted to disconnect that line yet. There's no point until I can get the other ones off.

The line does move a fair bit, but it won't come off. It's not clearing the little ring of metal on the filter that it stays on with. I have a feeling I can't depress the little blue-teal squares enough.

Wait a minute.

Does it matter what order I disconnect the lines? Is it easier if I undo the one that uses the disconnect tool first? I just saw a process that shows undoing the bracket, then the side you need the tool for, and then moving the filter down a bit and disconnecting the others.

Last edited by theroadvirus; 03-31-2014 at 06:11 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah it's probably easier to do the ones with the tool first. I haven't done it on my balt yet but every car I've done I've taken one line off then kinda move the filter a little to get the clips easier. The smallest movement makes a big difference.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 05:42 AM
Veteran

Garage
When I changed mine I had to get a new fuel line because it was rusted and cracked when I disconnected it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode