Key Stuck in Ignition No Power. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Key Stuck in Ignition No Power.

Hey this is my first post here and I know virtually nothing about auto repair. I have a 2008 Cobalt LT. Had gone out for lunch and returned to work no problem, about an hour later my boss had asked me to go pick up some bolts and when I went to start my car nothing happened. I attempted to remove my keys but they were stuck in the second position and could not be removed.

I had mentioned to a co-worker how my fob wasn't working properly a few weeks before ( door unlock not working, activating the panic button when the door opened so he thinks it may be a security lockout.

I have retrieved my key using the release button but cannot get my car to start which seems to be a popular motif with Cobalts. If anyone can lend a suggestion I'd be grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
In your case probably a dead battery.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Hey thanks for the quick response Coby7! Would I be able to jump start a dead battery or just replace it?

Last edited by Coby7; 04-03-2014 at 03:47 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You can jumpstart from the boost post under the hood. Boost post is under red cover on underhood fuse block. Use one of the strut nuts for ground.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

You will probably need to replace it soon,

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thank you again for your quick reply. I'll ask someone at work tomorrow to give me a boost, hopefully it's just a dead battery. I've been reading on a lot of forums about the gear shift assembly being the cause and was getting pretty worried. I'll keep you posted but you definitely sound like you know what you're talking about
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Initiate

Do you have any power at all in the car? (radio, dome light etc?) check the main fuse near the battery... Also check that the battery cable are nice and tight.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

No I don't have any power. As I mentioned earlier my fob has been acting up so I've just been using the key to unlock my door. Never had this problem before, and have only owned this car less than 3 months, 66000 km. Left the house around 730 this morning, went on lunch at 12, went to a nearby pizza place and came right back, about an hour later my boss sent me on an errand but the car had no power, the key was stuck, the steering wheel wouldn't lock.

i got a ride back to work after coming home to search the internet and got my key back but there is absolutely no power, when my FOB still somewhat worked if I was to hit the door unlock button nothing would happen, then when I unlocked the door with my key the panic button would go off until I started the car, which led my co-worker to believe that it's some sort of security lockout

I'm completely stumped and praying it's just a dead battery.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey3030 View Post
No I don't have any power. As I mentioned earlier my fob has been acting up so I've just been using the key to unlock my door. Never had this problem before, and have only owned this car less than 3 months, 66000 km. Left the house around 730 this morning, went on lunch at 12, went to a nearby pizza place and came right back, about an hour later my boss sent me on an errand but the car had no power, the key was stuck, the steering wheel wouldn't lock.

i got a ride back to work after coming home to search the internet and got my key back but there is absolutely no power, when my FOB still somewhat worked if I was to hit the door unlock button nothing would happen, then when I unlocked the door with my key the panic button would go off until I started the car, which led my co-worker to believe that it's some sort of security lockout

I'm completely stumped and praying it's just a dead battery.
Battery connectors or main fuse are the problem. I'm not saying it's impossible but it is very unlikely that a battery would go completely dead in such a short period of time. Usually your dome light or radio etc. would turn on. but not enough power to start the car.

There is a 50 amp fuse in the trunk near the battery. Check it.

Make sure the battery cable are secured tightly to the battery.

Make sure your jump post in the engine compartment is not grounding to any piece of metal.

Good luck and keep us posted!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

THANK YOU!!! That's a relief. I will keep you posted and thanks again both of you for the input.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Contributor

Here's a trick to try also pour coke on the battery connectors..might have corrosion on the terminals. Coke will eat at the corrosion....

Megatron for global domination(0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread