Annoying Rattle/shifter Stuck - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Annoying Rattle/shifter Stuck

'08 Cobalt LS Manual

A couple of weeks ago, while in drivethrough, I noticed an annoying rattle while at idle. This is the first I've heard it, and I only ever hear it when I'm in drivethrough due to the sound acoustics of being beside the wall. It goes away if I blip the throttle lightly. My first thought is some sort of heat shield, but before I go looking I was wondering if there's any common spots. I also seem to have developed a minor exhaust leak.

And, a completely different problem that arose earlier this week. I went to leave from work and it felt funny pulling it from reverse to neutral. At which point it would only go into reverse and fifth. After playing with it for a bit (and my coworker walking home - haha), I magically have reverse, fifth and third. At this point I ended up limping it to the mechanic just up the road (first time since I got it almost 7 months ago!). I know him well and I gave him the rundown on his way by for a test run in some other vehicle. Well, by the time he came back (only a few minutes), I had all of my gears again. I haven't had an issue since. I was suspecting the linkage getting hung up somewhere, but I really have no clue on this one. The other thing is, I've had a bad habit of resting it again the gear while parked and not the hand brake. After adjusting it yesterday (works beautifully now), I won't have that bad habit anymore.

So... Any ideas, guys? Haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Contributor

Sounds like it could be a bad throwout bearing/slave cylinder. Mine would get stuck halfway in gear and would rattle at idle. Have you checked your cluch/brake fluid?

2007 SS/SC Lazer Blue Metallic. 2.90" pulley, 42# Injectors, K&N Typhoon Intake, Badmab Header, ZZP 3"dp, HPTuned, and Tsudo Muffler.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Hello Theroadvirus,

I am sorry to hear you had this concern with your Cobalt. I see you went to your local mechanic for repairs. If you have another concern, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via private message. We can check your warranty and special coverage status. If you reach out via private message, be sure to include your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership name.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode