High Pitched Noise from Driver's Side - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

High Pitched Noise from Driver's Side

Hey guys,

I've got a high pitched noise coming from under the hood and it sounds like it is from the driver's side. It isn't a periodic knock knock (or if it is knocking, the knocks are too close together for me to distinguish them).

It sounds a lot like this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmWIPvlmARE

But not as rough as it gets right around 14 seconds.

The noise is either not present (but most likely) inaudible when idling or when cruising which tells me it is not the wheels. It gets really loud at 4k (haven't tried going faster). When I accelerate to 4K and suddenly let go, in the tenth of a second that the engine becomes quiet but right before the RPM meter falls, the noise is very audible. It sounds like a busted bearing but usually metal on metal sounds a bit more rough (like at 14 seconds in that video). This noise can get pretty loud but it isn't as rough.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Hi maverick1989,

Have you considered taking this concern into the dealership for a further diagnosis? If you would like me to assist you into the dealership for a possible resolution to your concern, I would be happy to do so. Please send me a PM with your VIN, current mileage, contact info and a preferred dealership so I can look into this on your behalf. Thanks!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Thanks for your response, Patsy. I am at the dealership right now. I hadn't heard the engine from outside because I didn't have time to ask a friend to sit in and accelerate while I listened with the hood up. I heard it here at the dealership and it sounds completely normal from outside. I'm now thinking it's a firewall problem. They're still looking at it. If something comes up in an inspection, I'll come back and update.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Chevy Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1989 View Post
Thanks for your response, Patsy. I am at the dealership right now. I hadn't heard the engine from outside because I didn't have time to ask a friend to sit in and accelerate while I listened with the hood up. I heard it here at the dealership and it sounds completely normal from outside. I'm now thinking it's a firewall problem. They're still looking at it. If something comes up in an inspection, I'll come back and update.
Hello maverick1989,

Thank you for the update! I'm hoping that they come up with a solution, but I'll be looking forward to your response later. Send a PM my way if any further assistance is needed. Have a good day .

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

I had to take it to another shop as the noise (and the vibrations it generated on my foot when it was on the accelerator) were getting too annoying.

They identified it as a lose boot on the steering's intermediate shaft. They put it back in its place and that fixed the problem. Thought I'd post back what it was.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Chevy Customer Service

Thank you Maverick1989 for the update. I'm happy to hear that the issue has been fixed, and your back on the road enjoying your vehicle again. Let me know if you have anymore questions or concerns. Have a great weekend!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
engine noise

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode