Water in the Tank (Bought Bad Gas) - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Water in the Tank (Bought Bad Gas)

Saturday night I was driving home, gas light came on so I stopped at a gas station I usually don't go to. After filling up, my car refused to start up.

Next morning it started up on the 2nd attempt but I had it towed to the dealership since I figured it may happen again.

So my car has been sitting at the dealership since Sunday, and I finally just got a call from maintenance saying they found two problems.

1) The battery is going bad
2) There is water in the gas

So now I'm looking at an $800+ gas bill for one fill-up. I really don't want to pay that much since I'm moving in less than a week and I need to make the deposit plus first month's rent payment.

I heard dry gas and fuel injector cleaner can be added to the tank to 'dry-out' the water... any ideas or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAiLTALiTY View Post
I heard dry gas and fuel injector cleaner can be added to the tank to 'dry-out' the water... any ideas or suggestions?
If there is enough water in your tank that it prevented the car from starting, then fuel injector cleaner will not help. Gas is lighter than water so if you have too much water in your tank, it fills up the fuel line all the way and since water doesn't burn, you're kind of stuck and need to clean the system.

I don't think you have too much wate rthough. If there was enough water in your tank to cause your car to stop, it wouldn't happen right away after the fill up. It'd happen after a few minutes. You said as soon as you filled up, when turning the engine on to get out of the gas station, it wouldn't start? The fuel line should have been full of fuel at that point (unless you waited at the gas station for hours). I'd think it is the batter. Why don't you put in a new battery and see if it fixes the ignition problems?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I expect the battery to be the problem too, especially since it is about 4-5 years old now. I told the dealership to replace the battery (still gonna be around $300 since there's a $105 fee just to take a look at the car) and I will try adding Sea foam to the fuel tank, hopefully that will clean it out

And yes, it wouldn't start 10 seconds after I finished filling up. Ended up pushing it from the pump to a parking space down a slight slope, and luckily for me the brakes kicked in just barely enough to stop the car before it hit anything.

Thanks for the response

Last edited by FAiLTALiTY; 05-27-2014 at 01:59 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Okay, my 2 cents here. If your car wouldn't start after fill-up, this usually means your purge valve is stuck open. If the car cranked nicely but didn't fire-up your battery is probably good. If you would have put the pedal to the floor it would have started right up.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I did try giving it some gas while starting up and it didn't help. I didn't have it floored the entire time, but I did try it quite a few times, with variations on how far I pressed the pedal.
From what I can tell between what the service guy told me and what I've learned online, the battery was probably the culprit for my car not starting up. The battery is about 4-5 years old now, and I'm sure the 12" subs in the trunk haven't helped either.

Since the dealership found water in the gas, I'm guessing I got lucky the battery failed when it did, since it allowed me to catch the fuel problem as well, before that started doing some serious damage.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Dealers will say anything when they can't pin point. If your car cranked normal when you tried to start it, chances are your battery is good.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 05-27-2014 at 08:00 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

It would crank sometimes and not crank other times. The morning I had gotten it to start up it took a couple tries and the first time it didn't crank at all. I read faulty batteries can cause intermittent problems like that... I'm really hoping thats the case.

I'll report back if anything else happens
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Prospect

A 100 bucks just to take a look at the car?!

And 200 bucks for the battery?!?! I'd find someone else the next time.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Okay, my 2 cents here. If your car wouldn't start after fill-up, this usually means your purge valve is stuck open. If the car cranked nicely but didn't fire-up your battery is probably good. If you would have put the pedal to the floor it would have started right up.
Trying to crank the car with the pedal on WOT will disable the fuel. Not 100% on what it does but it probably cuts signal to the injectors. No way you could start the car with no gas.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 02:05 PM
Prospect

Wow. I'm bettn subs r too blame for battery woes n also next time try not to go too much under 1/8th tank. gas actually keeps the fuel pump cool n when the light is on u got a gallon left. so ur pulling sludge through the lines. if u normally drive on E u will gunk up ur injectors faster n shorten the life of the fuel pump. just some advice for future reference. we have all been short on cash n gas cost money. use mpg readout n range. Next time obviously! N for $800 id tell u Lepracaughns were masturbating in ur intake manifold! Id ask for what exactly they are doing for $500! Are they cleaning the system,dropping the tank,replacing the filter
ect if it was my money id want a detailed work order.

2005 COBALT BASE 2.2 AUTO ARRIVAL BLUE:SOLD
2008 PONTIAC G5 2.2 AUTO SLATE METALLIC:SOLD
1999 CHEVY CAMARO 3800 AUTO HUGGER ORANGE
2009 COBALT LS XFE 5SPD VICTORY RED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode