Bad Grounds? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Bad Grounds?

I own a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe.

My car has several electrical type problems.

1. The car's power locks don't work properly. I can not lock or unlock the car doors from the button on the driver's side. On the passenger side the car doors unlock when you press the lock button and that's only sometimes or with multiple presses. Today, I started having a problem with the car not locking or unlocking the doors when I put in into park, reverse, drive, or shut off the engine. Previously, the locks have done the thing where they locked and unlocked on their own. I do not have keyless entry for the vehicle.

2. Radio display gets jumbled. This only happened twice where my car's radio display showed random numbers, letters, and symbols all jumbled up together. It also flickered in and out and at one point the display stopped working completely and only came back on after messing with the headlights and opening and closing my door. From what I remember this only happened while raining or after it had just rained. Hasn't happened again in a while but still concerns me.

3. Service airbag light is always on. The other day when I was driving the light was on in the information panel, but I noticed that in the center console where the passenger airbag light is, it was starting to flicker on. Eventually the light went back to being off.

4. Other power & interior features don't work. Power mirrors are unresponsive and the rear mirror reading lamps don not work.

I already bought new fuses and replaced the ones that I thought were causing me trouble but that didn't change anything at all. I also checked the bulbs to see if they were bad. one looked blown, the other seemed fine. I put another working bulb in to see if it would work and that was a no go.

Solution?
So I'm guessing there could be a problem with the ground wiring in the car since some of the stuff half ass works. I wouldn't mind checking on it myself but I can't figure out where to find it.
Help pls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Under the driver's seat is the ground for the BCM which controls 99% of the stuff you mentioned. There will be about 5-7 wires joined and brought to ground at that point.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 08-28-2015 at 09:35 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Coby7, I can see that you are a very helpful and insightful person in this community and I know you will be a great help to me in the future. Jah

UPDATE

I fiddled around with the ground wiring under the driver's seat, went through the DIC menu to check the door lock settings, and once again put in new fuse(s).
Nothing changed except my locks are back to auto-locking/unlocking when I switch gears. I can't be certain whether or not what I did fixed it or it coincidentally started working on it's own since nothing else started to work.

Last edited by nikk_at_nite; 09-02-2015 at 07:06 AM. Reason: update/fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
electrical , grounds , power locks , wiring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode