Electrical Issues - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Electrical Issues

So recently my car has had problems with starting. It started a month ago after I filled up my car with gas and when I went to start it, nothing happened. So I went, pulled the crank fuse, put it back in, and it started right up.

Nothing unusual happened for 2 weeks, then out of the blue it wouldn't start again. So I tried pulling the crank fuse again, and it still wouldn't start. I ended up needing a jump from somebody to get it going.

Recently my car has had starting issues more and more frequently. I got the battery checked, and it is fine. I also had the alternator and starter checked and they were all good. Any ideas what the issue could be?

I will also add that the starting issues have occurred when the car has only sat for an hour or two.

2006 Cobalt LT Stealth Grey Metallic Coupe.
The current mods: ZZP shorty header, Mugen Twin Loop Muffler, American Eagle 17x7s, Nightshade Tinted Tail Lights, Custom Spec-D Headlights, SS 0-140mph Gauge cluster, Custom Made Cold Air Intake, Carbon Fiber wrapped badges, FE5 Struts/Shocks, CM/SSC Springs, SS Shift Knob, SS front bumper, SS Pioneer Sound System, Pioneer GM-A3602 Amplifier, Painted Calipers, MPX Shorty Antenna.

1969 Triumph GT6+ MK2 (350 V8 project car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Only common thing I see in your story of symptoms is it wouldn't start on it's own power but would start with a boost. So it all points to the connection underneath the boost post where the long battery cable from the trunk connects to the fuse block and starter cable. I would remove the boost post (10mm socket)( undo battery post first) and clean as much and as well as you can all eyelet tabs and lead surface of the fuse block where boost post screws in, then re-assemble and screw post tightly.

Tighten terminal post to 15 Nm ( 133 lb in) Notice not ft lbs

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 09-17-2015 at 08:10 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

The posts were cleaned and there haven't been any issues yet, but only time will tell.

2006 Cobalt LT Stealth Grey Metallic Coupe.
The current mods: ZZP shorty header, Mugen Twin Loop Muffler, American Eagle 17x7s, Nightshade Tinted Tail Lights, Custom Spec-D Headlights, SS 0-140mph Gauge cluster, Custom Made Cold Air Intake, Carbon Fiber wrapped badges, FE5 Struts/Shocks, CM/SSC Springs, SS Shift Knob, SS front bumper, SS Pioneer Sound System, Pioneer GM-A3602 Amplifier, Painted Calipers, MPX Shorty Antenna.

1969 Triumph GT6+ MK2 (350 V8 project car)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Not the battery posts I'm talking about, the boost post under the hood.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 02:12 PM
Newcomer

Hi, you seem to know enough about my problem because on the 3 threads I've found related to mine, you show up every time. Hoping you'll get a reply to me quickly. '05 2.2L Cobalt and I have starting problems. The battery was just replaced a week ago, that place better give me a refund for parts and service too. I bought a jump start kit today which verified its not that battery because that hooks up to the remote terminals (as you know). The best I can put it because I'm not much the "lingo" guy, there's no cranking, electrical system works fine. I hear the click hitting the start position in the ignition which is the relay I guess, I've learned a lot today. I really don't know where to start? Where do I start? I found a guy that can come over but not until next week. I saw in a reply you made to check your fuses. Which fuses? the box on the floor console or by the engine? Both of course? Iginition switch, starter, or ignition? I'm not cheap, I have savings that could get it fixed, but I want to make sure its nothing small and actually gets the problem fixed. It not like I have a budget for when a repair guy goes for the easiest fix for him at a cost of $200 for me every week.

Last edited by siriusbro; 09-18-2015 at 02:50 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You appear to have a different problem. Looks like the underhood fuse block isn't getting the crank signal from the BCM. My recomendation is to disconnect battery, then disconnect all connectors from BCM then reconnect everything. This will scratch clean all the connections on the BCM and hopefully correct your non start issue.

Did you remove the boost post like I recommenced further up this thread and clean all contacts?

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Newcomer

well, I disconnected the battery and had no idea what the BCM was but I saw a couple fuses in the engine fusebox has BCM in their name, and turned out one was burned out. Just replaced it, and re-hooked battery. Still isn't starting. Boost Post? is it the metal post coming out of the fuse block where you hook up the positive end to jump start? cause that's in good shape
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
That's the boost pot all right, and you can't tell by looking at it. The BCM is on the passenger side of the center console and looks like this.

or this

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 11:31 AM
Newcomer

ok, saw it.. I unhooked the battery like you said, disconnected BCM, kept disconnected for 2 minutes and re-attached everything and still isn't starting. Seems nothing is changed, same silence and one click when i turn the key. do you still think its wiring or corrosion/rust/damage? Could it be the spark plugs? How can I test those? I've taken video of what happens with the key turn if that helps at all. https://youtu.be/s7qkqKyngQo

Last edited by siriusbro; 09-19-2015 at 11:38 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If it starts via the boost post clean you post if you haven"t already done it. Also there's a big 50 amp fuse in the trunk beside the battery maybe check that one too since you said you had a burnt BCM fuse under the hood. Did you check if that fuse blew again?

Last edited by Coby7; 09-19-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread