Big-time Gas Smell when Cold, Intermittent (of Course) - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Big-time Gas Smell when Cold, Intermittent (of Course)

Probably once ever couple months, my Cobalt smells like raw gas, usually after sitting then driving a short distance. This morning, backing out of the garage on a cool morning, the gas smell would almost knock you out. Drove a couple miles, and the smell was gone. Of course, the chance of getting a "could not duplicate" at the dealer is almost 100%. ;)

Any ideas? Thanks. Mine is an '08 XFE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
There's a bulletin on this. GM is suppose to fix free of charge. A plastic line cracks at the top of the gas tank or something to that effect. At first they were just doing cars from southern states but now they cover all.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Initiate

special warranty coverage for 10 years, 150k miles

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Well, the dealer did replace the fuel pump module under that campaign....and proceeded to tell me I needed $1,125.00 of fuel lines replaced due to rusting. The same dealer's service dept. three weeks ago did an oil change and the service writer told me, "The tech didn't have a thing to write on the check-up of your car, underneath".

I told the dealer today to go ahead with the module, but not do anything else as I was contacting Chevrolet Customer Service, and also NHTSA (first time in my 57 years). I did both of those too. Customer Service told me they'd call back in 48 hours but didn't sound very optimistic. If those lines are rusted out, seems to me I'd smell gas all the time, but who knows? I think for a car built in April 2008 to need that kind of work is sorry as could be.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 01:03 AM
Initiate

Where are you located? Fuel lines rusting out after 7 years seems short even for a road-salt state. If your fuel lines were rusting out, I would expect to see fuel dripping on the ground with the car running. And of course the smell wouldnt go away after driving, it would just keep leaking and stinking every time you stopped.

I wonder if your evap lines or tank vent valve are damaged, so when you start the car the engine pulls a vacuum on the tank and sucks out the accumulated vapor (and some leaks out). Does your car have any codes stored?

Last edited by economichitman; 09-29-2015 at 01:05 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

I live in northeast Ohio. Still, I'd like to think I'd be smelling gasoline a lot more than once every six weeks or something. I also own an '09 Cobalt (my daughter's car). We bought it used in late 2013 so I don't have any April 2013 letter about the fuel pump module...does anyone know if '09 models are affected too? Thank you.

BTW, I have never owned another make of new car than Chevrolet...I have had thirteen new Chevrolets since January 1981. My last couple have been the worst ones...ridiculous stuff breaking, even our '11 Malibu, built by the "new GM". Getting things done out-of-warranty, with goodwill assistance, is worse than it used to be, too. It seems as if Chevrolet is trying their best to keep me from buying a 14th new Chevrolet.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 06:44 PM
Prospect

Garage
I had the same problem. The high pressure fuel line had cracked. Dealer said it was not under recall in CO. But told me to keep recepits. A few months later recall extended to CO and I got comped the entire $500 price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode