Random RPM Loss, Car Almost Dies. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Exclamation Random RPM Loss, Car Almost Dies.

i have a 2006 cobalt ss, the car just died on me 2 weeks ago, it would start but immediately die again so i had it towed to the shop, the tow truck punctured my oil pan on the way, they checked the codes at the time and there were a few but they were all over the place and had nothign to do with each other, so they cleared the codes and once the oil pan was repaired, they started the car and it started up just fine like nothing was ever wrong, no codes came up and it ran fine fer almost a week but now a week later randomly i loose rpm, almost think its gunna just die like it did before but then it comes right back up, sometimes it will sputter and almost die a few times in a row. no codes, no lights come on. any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 03:06 PM
Forum Regular

Have you ever cleaned your throttle body? Not saying this is the primary cause, but I have an 06LS, and I have to clean the throttle body about once a year. When it gets dirty, I notice RPM shudder when I come to a stop. The car doesn't stall, but the rpm drop quite a bit (Like letting out the clutch without giving the car enough gas).
How many miles are on the car? Has it ever had a tune up?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

pretty sure its the ECM, tonite while driving it the " ice possible" warning flashed on the display like it normally does but then never shut off just stayed on the display. Also the shuttering seems to be getting worse.

new throttle body 2 years ago. 125k miles ish

Last edited by PhatNugz; 10-30-2015 at 07:25 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 10:59 AM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatNugz View Post
pretty sure its the ECM, tonite while driving it the " ice possible" warning flashed on the display like it normally does but then never shut off just stayed on the display. Also the shuttering seems to be getting worse.

new throttle body 2 years ago. 125k miles ish

Mine (2006, Cobalt SS/SC, 75k Miles) has been doing the same thing for the last week or so. Will run fine when cold. But when it gets warm the engine wants to sputter. Seems to happen more often after deceleration or prolonged cruising.
I have an AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge and right before the problem starts I will lose the gauge. This is leading me to believe that it is an issue with the computer.

I will be putting it up for the winter here shortly and will be trouble shooting more as time passes.

Could be a fuel issues with the below codes I received:
Got a MAF Code, a Bank 1 too lean code, and a intermittent misfires code.
Changed the fuel filter, no good.
Cleaned the TB, no good.

2006 Cobalt SS/SC Yellow;
Lambo Doors
3" ZZP Downpipe and Catback
ZZP Shorty Header
3" ZZP Intake with K&N Filter
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

yup i had all the same codes pop up, the next few days ill be having something done to fix this issue, wont kno what til we get in there but ill let u kno how we resolve it, considering how random and scattered the codes and signs are its prolly a faulty ECM, but i find if i keep things under 2200 rpm the issue is minimal and sometimes doesn't happen at all.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Prospect

I have not run the car in a few days and it was extremely hard to start. once I got it running I checked the voltage at the battery and I am only getting about 11-12 volts (should be around 14). I will be taking the battery to be tested tomorrow after work but I feel that it is the alternator. I will keep you posted as well.

Lambo Doors
ZZP Shorty Header
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

hmmcould be, and now that u mention it, if i've left mine fer a day or two it seems to hesitate some when its starting up
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Prospect

On alternator swapped. Could not get it to start even with jump.
Read up that there is a ground wire under the driver side headlight. I had disconnected it and reconnected it when I had to replace my radiator. I just checked it and found it was corroded. Disconnected and cleaned it, started right up and have 13.8 volts at the battery. Check that ground wire.

Lambo Doors
ZZP Shorty Header
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

ok thanks ill give it a shot
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 04:30 AM
Prospect

Does your tach drop to 0 when the car stalls/misfires/jerks? Do you have problems restarting it when it is hot? I had something similar on my 2006 2.2 Cobalt. CEL light normally not on, but if the car went into limp mode the CEL light would come on, codes pulled wouldn't make any sense, all over the place.

I replaced the ICM, coil packs, plugs and wires. These helped but after I replaced the crankshaft positions sensor, my car definitely stopped stalling/misfiring, especially after warm up.

Last edited by jmatrix; 11-14-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode