Deep Water - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Deep Water

07 Cobalt SS w/ cold air, it was a dark and rainy night and I ran it through some deep water. maybe 8 inches. the car died and I was able to get it to start back up, it was acting like it wasn't getting any air but if I just kept the rpms up it ran fine, I only drove it down the road. at the end of my trip there happened to be another puddle, (it's dark outside guys I know better and underestimated the depth of the puddle) car dies, and I can't get it started. at first it just wouldn't start, no click, turn over, nothing. it took my awhile to push the car out of the water. maybe 10 minutes. I tried starting again, and now I get the NASTIEST grinding naoeivrjas;efj when I turn the key. I've asked around and have scoured a few forums about this problem, and this is what I have so far:
-one person told me to take the spark plugs out and try to start, the horrible noise is a common occurance in this situation, and let the engine purge the water. check the oil for water, best bet is to drain the whole bitch and refill with new oil
-internet tells me I'm probably boned, but i should change the oil, pull the plugs and try to start to purge water, and pull the intake to clean and dry it. but nothing I find on the internet says anything about the noise. most other people i see that have had this problem just say "won't start" and dont mention this god forsaken sound my engine is producing.
It's been a full 24 hours almost since i last tried to start the car, I was able to push it into a safe parking spot.
help? comments? suggestions? Am I ****ed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Forum Regular

Depends on if ur car actually gulped water or not because water is not compressible and if it got in the cylinder chances are Something serious broke(piston, block, head) so the engine needs to be inspected and you may even want to start by checking the codes to but 90% of the time, water in the engine doesn't turn out good. If this is too much fer you to do better get it to a shop before you try random stuff, you could end up causing more issues.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 10:08 PM
Prospect

8inches, if you are going slow, should not drown the engine. That depth could have locked up the starter and shorted it. Give the starter a few taps and see what happens. Also, if it is manual, try push starting it.

2006 Cobalt SS/SC Yellow;
Lambo Doors
3" ZZP Downpipe and Catback
ZZP Shorty Header
3" ZZP Intake with K&N Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode