Rear Brake SHoe Replacement / No Parking Brake and Soft Pedal - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Rear Brake SHoe Replacement / No Parking Brake and Soft Pedal

Hi,

I just replaced my rear brake shoes on my 2006 cobalt. But now even though the car stops really good, my pedal is going further to the floor (not all the way though) and feels soft (it always felt soft but not this soft since there is so much pedal travel).

With engine on, if I pump the brakes and push really hard, the pedal seems to hold so I don't think its the master cylinder. Does this rule out master cylinder? Should I check for fluid swooshing in the brake reservoir while a help pumps brakes to check master cylinder more?

ANd now my Ebrake does absolutely nothing. I have it fully adjusted and it doesn't even grab at all. Maybe I installed the shoes incorrectly? I did do my brakes at night and maybe I made a mistake.

Since the pedal is and traveling further than it supposed to, should I try bleeding air and flushing the whole system ? Or do you think this might a be a master cylinder problem?

WHen I checked the wheel cylinders, they appeared oK, but when I peeled back the outer rubber I did see some brake fluid seepage. Is this bad wheel cylinder? I read somewhere some seepage is OK, but that could be for older cars. And since new shoes push the rod back into the cylinder it might create small leak whore the bore has rusted from not being used ?

I guess since rear brake shoes aren't serviced often I should have replaced the wheel cylinder at the same time ? What do you guys think?

Any help and advice is appreciated.

THanks,

Matt

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Going check out everything today and inspect everything coby7 suggested on my ebrake issue at:

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM

I'm still not sure about the wheel cylinders, Coby7 when do you replace yours?

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2 / 5 Speed Coupe / 166k Miles

Last edited by jmatrix; 11-24-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Brakes feel brand new

Well, I tore apart my rear brake drums again and this time replaced the wheel cylinder and brake drums and did a adjustment.

WOW what a difference. I have hardly pedal travel now, the pedal is hard and sensitive, and I can feel the car stopping better and more evenly.

Also my parking brake is fine now. I think my drum was out of adjustment when I just installed pads, or maybe worn down. I don't have any kind of precision measuring stuff. Or maybe I hammered the shit out of my old drums and they weren't round anymore when I tried to get them off.

Anyways glad I spent the extra money on brake drums and wheel cylinders. If your going to tear apart shoes its worth replacing if there is signs of wear. I think most rear brakes receive very little maintenance, I'm amazed and how much of difference welled adjust rear brakes can make the pedal feel.

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2 / 5 Speed Coupe / 166k Miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode