Cv Axle Wobble? Shakes Car! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Cv Axle Wobble? Shakes Car!

~~~~06 Chevrolet cobalt ls~~~~

So, i got my car back from a piece of shit dealer that motor swapped my car. many many issues and problems, so i am stuck on this last issue. First, my car doesnt really shake going down the road, it just wobbles a little, no steering wheel shake. So i took my time to slow down the car and listen and all, figured out it was coming from the right side. (just going to skip the the juicy bits.) So i jack my car up, take off the tire and full strut assembly. I then proceed to grab the cv axle and wobble it up and down, and it DOES MOVE. Now this is where the cv axle connects into the transmission onto the spline shaft. This is where I am stuck at. I took the cv axle off, got a new one, running into same issue. So i started back over and yanked the axle back off. noticed the snap ring on the transmission shaft looked a little weird, so i took it off. Its not pefectly circular and it has flat parts and stuff around its circumference. This is where i am currently at and asking for anyone help, or more info. Wasnt sure if the Snap ring needed replacing or if i need that whole spline shaft drive thigamajigamabob or if anyone knows what it is! =D

(where the axle connects to the spline shaft on the transmission is what i could very easily move, up and down nonetheless, about a half of an inch. Just wanted to make sure that was clarified!)

I appreciate The reads and all info and replies in advance!

Thanks guys,
Pkerpure

Last edited by pkerpure; 11-24-2015 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Left out info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 07:06 PM
Initiate

Do you have an intermediate shaft like this? IDK if manual or auto cobalts have these, probably manuals only.

The intermediate shaft bearing must be bad, you could pull the bearing retainer and have a new bearing pressed in, or just pull a whole bearing retainer with bearing from a junkyard. These dont usually go bad.

Scroll down to the 2nd post here for a how-to on replacing the bearing in the retainer-
http://www.chevycobaltforum.com/foru...-replace-2680/

Also check the bolts that hold the bearing retainer to the block, maybe the whole retainer is lose?

Last edited by economichitman; 11-24-2015 at 07:28 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

automatic =\

Im pretty sure mine looks different. i found a haynes manual that says theres a tool i need to pull it out of the tranny. but im assuming its the same concept. =D will give it a try. worst comes to worst, i just get a new tranny lol

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Fixed it!!!

Was the little rubber ring and race that goes around the double sided spline shaft that sits in the tranny and snaps into the cv axle! Runs like a champ again.

Thanks again for all the info!
Pkerpure
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 06:14 PM
Newcomer

What did the part look like?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Cant find a picture, but i do believe it is called an "axle shaft seal"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version