Coolant Flush & Replace Thermostat? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Coolant Flush & Replace Thermostat?

2007 Chevy Cobalt Lt Coupe, 2.2l Auto.

Can someone post how to do a coolant flush, and should it also be drained from the block, can it be drained from the block? And what type of coolant, think it's dexcool but want to be sure, and how much is need?

Oh and a how to of how to replace the thermostat.

Hoping to do this this weekend.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:52 AM
Newcomer

Here's what I had to do when I worked on my water pump this weekend. Let the car cool entirely. Open the resovoir cap. Open the drain plug on the bottom passenger side of the radiator. Let that drain until it stops. Remove the water pump drain plug and let that drain. Once they are done draining, I squeezed the rubber hoses to force the remaining coolant from the system. Swap out your thermostat. Then add in about 6.8qts of fresh coolant. Make sure that you close both the radiator & water pump drain plugs. Crank the car, let it warm to normal operating temp. Then turn it off, let it cool entirely. Then add any additional coolant, if needed. Some coolant might not have all went in due to vapor lock. Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 AM ----------

The coolant type is Dexcool but the newer coolants work with all makes/models and mix with any color coolants. I used Prestone 50/50.

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 AM ----------

The thermostat is held on by a few bolts on the drivers side of the block towards the back. It's top facing, so it's easy to get to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode