Fixed Gas Leak... Or So I Thought? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Unhappy Fixed Gas Leak... Or So I Thought?

Sorry if this looks like a long post, I'll put a too-long;didn't-read version at the bottom in red. .

So the other day, my 2008 Cobalt LT failed to start on the first try, but the second try started fine. Immediately following, a strong odor of gasoline started flowing into the interior of the car. I was at work on my break at the time, so I had to wait until the next day to bring it into a shop. They lifted the car and found part of the fuel line by the rear driver side was rusted and cracked, with a small drip of fuel as the result (not even enough to notice a difference in fuel levels).

I had the issue fixed/patched by having a friend do what I saw on this forum from countless other threads (using high pressure tubing/hose and a few clamps), and the issue appeared to be fixed. The car started on the first try and there was only a small scent of gas, I assumed it was just the lingering scent still remaining.... I was wrong.

I put an air freshener in the car and lightly sprayed the seats with an odor eliminator and let it sit overnight. In the morning, I let the car warm up (21F degrees in NY this morning) and noticed the smell was still lingering, so I opened the window a crack and immediately the smell of gas started pouring into the car again until I shut the window. Also, note that it is not an exhaust fume smell, it wreaks exactly of fresh gasoline. Any idea's what I can try next?

tl;dr: Strong gas smell, patched the rusted portion of fuel line with common fix. Still smells like gas (not exhaust) fumes inside the car, extremely strong when the window is open at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
fuel , gas , line , patched , smell

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode